496 HO MAG Running Rough Missing >

496 HO MAG Running Rough Missing

Notices

496 HO MAG Running Rough Missing

Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Like I said check for leak(s) around the IAC area. Also a simple check is to remove your boost fuel pump and then look at the bottom screen to make sure it is not restriction with junk. Its a simple check. Also fuel vacuum test in which
Merc spec is 2 hg MAX. If it is higher then you either have a air leak or restriction or fuel pump problem like cavitation.

Also I was referring to having your injectors serviced /check because that will knock your speed down, cause running problems as well. I think you have a vacuum leak ie: IAC area or a problem IAC and fuel related issues.

As far as OEM service manuals I have them all in book form. I suggest you get one for your app or any other apps. 496 is # 30 - you want the later version of 2006 and the PCM manual # 33 - you want the 2007 version here 4 sure. The 2001 version stinks not enough material covered. You need both manuals. Good luck. The car shop has Diacom by Rinda or Merc CDS ? I hope so or else they will not be able to scan it.

Last edited by BUP; 06-23-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mercury/Rinda scan tool. There's a screen on the "Bottom" of the fuel pump"? I looked on the blow-up and didn't see a screen. The in side of the pump as it sits in sideways behind the water separator? I have a spare and was going to replace it tonight and I will check for screen. Thanks again
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Registered

As in the "IN" side of the pump?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Screen is in the inside of the bottom end of the boost fuel pump. Was it very clean or restricted ?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

Funny to see this post. I had a friend call me yesterday with the same issue. Turned out it was a plug. Out of the blue a plug just crapped out. No codes on the 496 but with a new plug not even a set it is all better. Local shop wanted 16+ a plug so he only got one and will hit up the auto shop out of town this week to change the rest. Said he can get them for around 6 dollars each. Cheap thing to try. If some one already suggested this Im sorry for reposting it but I do not have time to read the entire thread. Just trying to help out. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Screen is in the inside of the bottom end of the boost fuel pump. Was it very clean or restricted ?
it was very clean. I replaced the pump and going to try it some time here probably Thursday. Jobbie Nooner going on Friday and traffic will be getting bad on Thursday but will let you know. Thanks again BUP
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sac Solutions
Funny to see this post. I had a friend call me yesterday with the same issue. Turned out it was a plug. Out of the blue a plug just crapped out. No codes on the 496 but with a new plug not even a set it is all better. Local shop wanted 16+ a plug so he only got one and will hit up the auto shop out of town this week to change the rest. Said he can get them for around 6 dollars each. Cheap thing to try. If some one already suggested this Im sorry for reposting it but I do not have time to read the entire thread. Just trying to help out. Good luck.
Keep plugs, IAC and fuel pumps on board at all times and the tools to change them I guess....is what I will be doing.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM
BUP
Banned

Ok you are side tracking here, U said in post 1 that you already changed plugs and checked compression. Correct. Also If I recall I think you said on your scan that U were showing 100 % available power when running. I have never seen a motor showing 100 % power while running especially thru out the all RPM ranges and have a dead hole or completely dead spark plug or a dead coil(s). A dead coil(s) will also show a fault code. Good luck with it.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Ok you are side tracking here, U said in post 1 that you already changed plugs and checked compression. Correct. Also If I recall I think you said on your scan that U were showing 100 % available power when running. I have never seen a motor showing 100 % power while running especially thru out the all RPM ranges and have a dead hole or completely dead spark plug or a dead coil(s). A dead coil(s) will also show a fault code. Good luck with it.
yes changed all of the spark plugs and took compression checks first thing. just stating I was going to keep spares on board. ok great to know that a dead hole such as coil or wires/spark/spark plugs will show a fault code.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
.....and I am assuming this to be the case with bad wire(s), or all of the above that would cause a miss-fire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.