Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass?? >

higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass??

Notices

higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass??

Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default higer oil temp after rebuild, bypass??

Have a friend with twin 500EFIs. One was rebuild top to bottom this past winter, the other got a top end fresh. Now oil temp is 50+ degrees different, not off the charts but different. He is running in real cold water (Great Lakes) 52 degrees. Oil temps on hot engine runs 190 to 230 and climbing when running hard. Cool engine 150 to 180 running hard. Water temp is exactly the same, exactly. He is concerned that later in the year, doing runs on warming water will give him serious issues with hot oil. I don't want to debate how hot oil can get, just want these engines to match as they used to.

A while back I read something on here about a bypass that has to be reinstalled on marine engines where the engine block filter housing would be? I searched but can not find it. Can someone explain what this is? Is there a chance the builder left it out? Can it be installed with engine in the boat or is it internal?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

when the rebuild wes done was the origional bypass used and what kind of oil temp did he see before the rebuild?i would suggest checking the grounds at the dash and replacing the oil temp sending unit ,the oil temp might not be as hot as the gage sais it is.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Borgie
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-hardware.html

The bypass you are referring to is a 30lb unit that replaces the 11 Lb many of the truck engines come with. If he has the two 11 lb bypass valves installed in the filter block on that one engine that could very well be the issue.

The proper way is to remove the middle bypass valve leaving it open, then either install a 30lb valve or placing a plug in the inboard hole closest to the pan rail side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390855596324

Installing the 30lb valve is my preference.

That is good info, thank you.

Still wondering what a builder may have changed or left out however. The engine was rebuilt as stock, to match the other one.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-hardware.html

The bypass you are referring to is a 30lb unit that replaces the 11 Lb many of the truck engines come with. If he has the two 11 lb bypass valves installed in the filter block on that one engine that could very well be the issue.

The proper way is to remove the middle bypass valve leaving it open, then either install a 30lb valve or placing a plug in the inboard hole closest to the pan rail side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390855596324

Installing the 30lb valve is my preference.
Borgi don't wan to beat a dead horse but i will still ask if i remove the 11lb valve and install the 30lb valve do i have to plug the inboard hole thanks rod
Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you noticing a difference in oil pressures between the two motors? I am curious about the pressures at idle, cruise, and WOT when the temperatures are different.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Are you noticing a difference in oil pressures between the two motors? I am curious about the pressures at idle, cruise, and WOT when the temperatures are different.
oil pressure is the same at all rpms/ temps
Old 06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

If pressures are exactly the same I'd think he has an indication issue.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be my thought also. Time to take the infrared gun to the filters and see how far off they really are.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys, I have advised him to do that. Easy stuff first right?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Totally agree with what Borgie is saying here and especially about the Schumman oil pumps as they do oil pumps all day long. They also are doing some cool stuff for oil pumps on the LS engines as well.

I took a class that they put on last year and it was very informative as to how they are improving stock oil pumps along with some of their own designs. A lot of info about internal pressure spikes within the oil pump itself that want to combat. Anyways they have been around a very long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.