drive shaft stuck in gimbal bearing >

drive shaft stuck in gimbal bearing

Notices

drive shaft stuck in gimbal bearing

Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft stuck in gimbal bearing

I broke my u joints and now my drive shaft is stuck in my gimbal I have tried just about everything does anyone have any ideas for me please
Old 06-30-2014, 04:12 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I don't but I have a warning for you. I had a drive redone and they forgot to put in one of the c clips in the rear ujoint. It spit the u-joint out partially, of course, but more importantly it ruined the transom assembly as it rotated.

Hope this hasn't happened to you.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

slide hammer.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it is stuck in the gimbal - It is stuck in the engine coupling because the engine alignment is way off and that caused the U joints to fail. Try raising the front engine mount nuts one turn at a time and pull on the shaft. Make sure to count how many turns You went if it doesn't work so you can get back to the starting point. May have to go 5 or 6 turns up.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:06 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If it is stuck in the coupler and gimbal bearing - you could try to saw off the portion of the shaft just after the coupler, That can allow you to raise the motor completely out, then knock the driveshaft & gimbal bearing out from front side instead of the backside.

Most importantly look and see if the driveshaft is still in the coupler then at least try what Tinkerer mentioned as he has the right idea.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

unbolt motor and see if it can move foreward. i had one rusted into gimball bearing and i lift-slammed down till it pulled bearing out of housing with drive. if engine will come out, need about 2-3 inches straight forward, you can do same thing banging out from inside. cuz if u cut shaft, motor is coming at least partway out to change coupler anyway.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I don't think it is stuck in the gimbal - It is stuck in the engine coupling because the engine alignment is way off and that caused the U joints to fail. Try raising the front engine mount nuts one turn at a time and pull on the shaft. Make sure to count how many turns You went if it doesn't work so you can get back to the starting point. May have to go 5 or 6 turns up.
+1 it is most likely welded into the coupler,,going to have to cut it out and pull engine..
Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys it took 2 weeks but it finally popped free it was stuck in the gimbal
Old 07-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeve454
Thanks guys it took 2 weeks but it finally popped free it was stuck in the gimbal
when in doubt, get a bigger hammer...