Holley 750 carb problems...boat won't idle in gear >

Holley 750 carb problems...boat won't idle in gear

Notices

Holley 750 carb problems...boat won't idle in gear

Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley 750 carb problems...boat won't idle in gear

I am having Holley Carb problems on my Cafe Racer. I am running Holley 750 double pumpers on my 502's. I took carbs off last winter and had local machine shop rebuild them. Boat ran fine first 2 times out this season. Third time out I couldn't get the port motor to stay running. I pulled off float bowl and front float was half full of fuel. I replaced the plastic float with a brass float. Reset float level on bowls. Set idle to 900 rpm. Air/idle screw 1 1/2 turns out. Port motor will not idle under 1000 rpm when cold. It will idle when warm in nuetral. As soon as I shift into gear it dies. Is this a carb issue or vacuum leak?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

try turning the idle mixture screws out one quarter turn more,make sure to turn them all out evenly.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure timing not backing off...will act just like carb issue
Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

You could try looking at the secondaries. They should be adjusted open approximately 30 thousandths up the slot. However to do this the carb does need to come off as the adjusting screw is on the bottom facing up.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we leaned out the idle mixture screws it was like it was starving for fuel. I will double check timing also. Thx
Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Playbuoy
When we leaned out the idle mixture screws it was like it was starving for fuel. I will double check timing also. Thx
turning the screws out [counterclockwise] ritchens the idle mixture.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Blow out the idle air bleeds too, using carb clean and the little red straw thingy.

When you back out mixture screws, you are enriching the idle, but also adding more fuel/air overall, since its already emulsified when it is entering the engine from the idle discharge ports.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The idle air screws don't richen or lean the idle mixture.

They supply the idle circuit with more or less of the mixture dictated by the idle air bleeds.

The size of the idle air bleeds determines how rich/lean the idle mixture is.

I'd check the timing first and then look at fuel delivery.

Ps. A quick way to see if you are too lean at idle is to put your finger/fingers over the idle air bleeds and see if it improves. If it idles in gear with the air bleeds restricted, you have a lean idle mixture.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
The idle air screws don't richen or lean the idle mixture.

They supply the idle circuit with more or less of the mixture dictated by the idle air bleeds.

The size of the idle air bleeds determines how rich the idle mixture is.

I'd check the timing first and then look at fuel delivery.

Ps. A quick way to see if you are too lean at idle is to put your finger/fingers over the idle air bypass ports and see if it improves. If it idles in gear with the air bleeds restricted, you have a lean idle mixture.
. Kinda what I was getting at in my previous post. However, lets say the engine is idling at an air fuel ratio of 14:1. Turning the mixture screws out, will bring the air fuel ratio down (richer). Turning them in, will raise the air fuel ratio (lean).

Alot of guys can be confused a bit by this. Being that the mixture is already emulsified, turning the screws is allowing more air and fuel, not just fuel alone. But, the engine is gonna also be getting air past the throttle blades already.

This area can be a problem when car guys set up boat carbs. Race car guys are used to dealing with manual trannies, high stall converters, etc. They can really lean the idle down and get it nice and crisp. Problem is in boats, when we shift them into gear, the load between nuetral and in gear, is quite a change. Usually you need a richer mixture, to keep it from stalling out. This is pretty much why you hear the boat guys with big old roots blowers surging around the docks. Alot of times, with bigger cams, high pitch props, etc, if you tune the 'surge' out, you may have trouble with it stalling when shifting.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Check and make sure that the power valves are tight. Sometimes the gaskets shrink and gas can leak through. this can make them run like crap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.