Notices

building the dream boat

Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building the dream boat

hello all! looking for a bit of insight on how feasible my plan to build my dream boat will be(too expensive to buy outright) so my thoughts were to be to buy some BBCs convert them for marine applications then get the appropriate outdrives and stockpile the parts over the course of a couple years. then once I have everything to complete the build buy a new hull to put it in. so the question is this, is all of this too outlandish to work?? and I it can be done what kind of parts or websites could help me?? where can I buy just a hull?? anything along those lines. thanks for looking!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

It's all dollars. Just about any boat manufacturer will sell hull only. First what do you want? Big inch blower motors or stock 454s? #6s or bravos? V or cat? A lot more info required. With that said yes you can accumulate parts like crazy and put them in a bare hull
Old 08-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Registered

thanks for the reply! I definitely want to use 454s NA at first and then go from there. as far as outdrives probably bravos. and definitely a cat around 30ft
Old 08-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

better off buying marine motors to begin with. with 454's you can find them complete not to expensive. definitly easier than buying a 454, buying a new cam intake carb distri. sea pomp alternator brackets coolers etc etc.....
Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
better off buying marine motors to begin with. with 454's you can find them complete not to expensive. definitly easier than buying a 454, buying a new cam intake carb distri. sea pomp alternator brackets coolers etc etc.....
thanks for the advice! any website you know of where I can get these used or refurbished?? also with the outdrives??
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

look here and on fb in the powerboat swapshop
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Registered

There's always drop on 454s and 502s for sale in the swap shop here and fb powerboat swap shop like phragle said. Carb or efi? If efi your thinking intake and ecms. If carb much simpler. Don't forget couplers, bell housings and transom assemblies.

Then there is the though of bare hull or rigged less power? If totally bare your lookin at gauges, key switches, controls, cables, wiring amongst a TON of other stuff.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Registered

The other option is do what most do. Start smaller older. Save while enjoying. Sell and upgrade. Rinse repeat. Until you get where you want to be.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Registered

definitely gonna go carb for the simplicity. I know theres ALOT to go with a bare hull, and I also thought about starting out with a smaller boat and then using it as a donor when the time comes
Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the people who rig boats are better at it than you. they do it all day every day. that being said, if you really wanna do this, there are lots of neglected boats with trashed interiors and bad engines out there for cheap. strip the whole boat. power, drive, guages, wiring, throttle assy, steering. now you know where everything goes and you have all the parts...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.