Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it >

More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it

Notices

More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it

Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Be prepared to blow the bravo drive up, if you add a bunch of torque to a single engine cruiser.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Sell your motor and drive. Have the transom redone and new drives put in same place as formula did from factory with twins. B1's hooked to 383 mag/ 350 hp motors.

Chris
Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Be prepared to blow the bravo drive up, if you add a bunch of torque to a single engine cruiser.
Agree, that's way my plan is to change from standard B3 to probably B3XR. Also saw an IMCO drive but need feed back to what else I would need to change if I went that way, also if I don't go over 525HP the XR should run without issues. No expert here, hence the reason I'm asking the questions. So far I might just go the way Haxbyspeed did with his single engine heavy cruiser. Contact Bob and see what he recommends, then this winter, pull everything out build (have built) and put it all back in for next season.

Guess I just don't know how to ask the question the right way to get advise on what I'm thinking of doing. Heck sleev-les asked a similar question Aug 13 and got some good feed back, but here was talking about an 89 Cig. Guess if I had a go fast with the same type question it would be received a bit better. No problem I got it
Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Sell your motor and drive. Have the transom redone and new drives put in same place as formula did from factory with twins. B1's hooked to 383 mag/ 350 hp motors.

Chris
Thanks Chris, appreciate the input
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Registered

Im just not sure what you are trying to do? Are you trying to gain acceleration?

Maybe some small oval port heads to help low speed torque
Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered

Im just not sure what you are trying to do? Are you trying to gain acceleration?

Maybe some small oval port heads to help low speed torque
Original boat came with a 7.4 Carb 330HP B3. It would hardly get up on plane with 2 people and a full tank of fuel. I put in a 502 crate motor and picked up the MPI from a guy going to blowers in Long island NY. So I added about 100HP and the boat would come up and run pretty good with 4 folks and a full tank. It still has a hard time coming out of the water when loaded but makes it up every time. Figure since I need to replace the gimbal ring and pins, also want to go through the engine to refresh, might just add some extra ponies. Would really like to get it to come out of the water a bit quicker when loaded. Figure if I get half the results achieved going from the 7.4 to the 8.2 it would be worth the upgrade. So add another 75 to 100HP sounds good. Spend about 20K refreshing everything and I might just have a boat that doesn't perform not like my runabout, but maybe like a lighter weighted cruiser with some good power.

If I was about 1 or 2K lighter I wouldn't even be thinking about this.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

alum heads and exhausts. there is a couple hundred lbs right out of the stern. generator? ever use it? stove? fridge? empty water tank. move batteries forward. any loose extra weight goes all the way up in the v berth.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Arenson and a turbine. Go freak out all the people at the poker runs.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Original boat came with a 7.4 Carb 330HP B3. It would hardly get up on plane with 2 people and a full tank of fuel. I put in a 502 crate motor and picked up the MPI from a guy going to blowers in Long island NY. So I added about 100HP and the boat would come up and run pretty good with 4 folks and a full tank. It still has a hard time coming out of the water when loaded but makes it up every time. Figure since I need to replace the gimbal ring and pins, also want to go through the engine to refresh, might just add some extra ponies. Would really like to get it to come out of the water a bit quicker when loaded. Figure if I get half the results achieved going from the 7.4 to the 8.2 it would be worth the upgrade. So add another 75 to 100HP sounds good. Spend about 20K refreshing everything and I might just have a boat that doesn't perform not like my runabout, but maybe like a lighter weighted cruiser with some good power.

If I was about 1 or 2K lighter I wouldn't even be thinking about this.
Is stepping down in prop pitch an option
Old 09-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is stepping down in prop pitch an option
yep and have it tuned!!!! raise the rev limiter to 5500 and rev the phuck out of it..loading that drive is what kills it,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.