Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
500EFI Trying to Install Livorsi BIllet Controls - Throw not long enough HELP! >

500EFI Trying to Install Livorsi BIllet Controls - Throw not long enough HELP!

Notices

500EFI Trying to Install Livorsi BIllet Controls - Throw not long enough HELP!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 500EFI Trying to Install Livorsi BIllet Controls - Throw not long enough HELP!

Hello all,

I am trying to replace my old Merc Zero Effort controls with some shiny new Livorsi BIllet Controls on my Merc 500EFI motors.

The issue is that i cannot get the throttles adjusted so that the butterflys on the throttle body will open all the way to the 'stop' on the throttle body (or at least close). When the throttle is pushed forward as far as it will go (i have the stops on the throttles adjusted all the way 'in') the butterfly of the throttle body is about 10 degrees off of horizontal. I have also adjusted it so that when the throttles are pulled all the way back, the throttle body just barely touches the idle stop. It seems like even though i have the 'pin' for the throttle cable in the longest throw travel position, there is not enough travel in the new Livorsi throttle assembly to allow me to move the throttle body butterfly from idle all the way to full open. It doesnt seem to matter how much i thread the clevis's on either end of the cable in/out, that will not change the amount of travel that the throttle assembly gives me, which is my main problem.

I called LIvorsi and they had no solution to offer, which i was shocked at! I have called them several times to no avail.

I was wondering if there might be an alternate throttle body linkage assembly that would allow for a smaller travel to move the butterfly fully open/closed.

Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a picture of your setup
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Registered

unfortunately I wont be able to take any pics until Monday. Have you retrofitted livorsi controls on a 500EFI before?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

I went thru this this spring, went from zero effort to livorsi. I had the same frustrations... when I had my motor on the dyno, Haxby told me that from his experience the last small percentage won't skew the power.

Seems to be true in my set up anyway.

Good luck-
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

I would also post this in the Formula section, others there may have experience with this. I hope to learn from this as well, I am planning the same upgrade.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You would think that for the bucks they charge for a shiny blingy custom throttle made for offshore boats would be 100% compatible with a common boat motor.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Or better yet, an even more common shifter !

Last edited by SB; 09-08-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Registered

Especially for what they charge for them. You have the pins for the cables at the controls on the lowest mount point on the controls, correct? Not the mid or uppers? The lowers should give you the most throw. The threaded part on the engine side won't help with the throw like you found out. That's more for taking the slop out.

I went round and round and round with this, if you try to get it perfect for WOT your idle stuff will start to be an issue. (depending on set up) Doesn't take much "extra" air to affect your idle, IAC, shifting, all that. Mine needs to be closed TIGHT at idle. (or it idles at 1200)

Good luck.

Last edited by launchpad475; 09-08-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On the engine side, is there a hole closer to the pivot point you could use? Or possibly drill one? That would give you more throw.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of the responses.

Yes I have the pin at the hole in the control that gives the most throw. I don't know if there is another hole in the linkage at the throttle body or if there is the opportunity to drill a new one. Will look this weekend.

I wish I would have looked at the butterfly position when I had the old control in. I don't know if the old control had the same restriction or not.

I have not run it yet so I don't yet know the impact on performance at WOT, so maybe Launchpad is right that it wont affect performance. I will post again after this weekend to let all those that are curious know how It went. I will also try to post some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.