Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   How can you tell what scored your cylinders? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/318697-how-can-you-tell-what-scored-your-cylinders.html)

mcprodesign 10-03-2014 11:33 AM

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

I have a question about cylinder scoring. How do you tell the difference between fuel cylinder wash down and cam debris from a improperly broke in cam ( new motor). Lets do this right ! :)

1 MAIDEN AMERICA 10-03-2014 12:27 PM

Rutrow!

offshore312 10-03-2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mcprodesign (Post 4196886)
I have a question about cylinder scoring. How do you tell the difference between fuel cylinder wash down and cam debris from a improperly broke in cam ( new motor). Lets do this right ! :)

Last time I had a cam go south, I didn't see much damage to cylinder walls / pistons. What I did see was more confined to crankshaft & other pressurized oil flow path areas of the engine. The cam in question was a comp cam, installed & degreed same as every one I'd installed many times before. It failed during break-in time, so I had it tested for hardness and it was found to be soft by Comp Cam's listed spec. Comp didn't want to accept independent lab testing. They wanted me to send it back to them for "analysis & testing". I didn't trust them that the cam wouldn't somehow mysteriously get lost, and they would then tell me to get lost. Anyway, Comp wouldn't take care of ANY portion of my cost. not even a new cam. Put Cranes in a never had another problem. Screw Comp Cams!

CDShack 10-03-2014 01:34 PM

I've never had cylinder damage from a lost cam either! Have you just checked the oil and cut the filter, is that how you established the cam debris, or have you pulled the pan and intake? Is there already cylinder damage or was that a question?

offshore312 10-03-2014 02:39 PM

To the original question, logic would dictate that wash down occurs from the "topside" (intake) while anything related to the cam "miscellaneous metals" should occur from the crankcase side. So one might examine damages as above the rings, or below the rings accordingly.

akaboatman 10-03-2014 03:13 PM

Leaking exhaust. Water getting in cylinders. Common problem.

sutphen 30 10-03-2014 03:42 PM

can we see some pics?what do the sides of the pistons look like?

mike tkach 10-03-2014 07:49 PM

if this is a new build and detonation did not cause it id check the ring end gaps,probibally not set correctly and the rings were hanging up in the cylinder bore.

mcprodesign 10-03-2014 10:07 PM

I put 1 pic of where I could be sitting out on a lake ,its a hundred here right now. Motor has an hour on it. I think the lifter never spun.

Crude Intentions 10-03-2014 10:23 PM

Damn that sucks. You just had this one done.