Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Rhythmic Surging Idle on 525EFI, any suggestions other than IAC? >

Rhythmic Surging Idle on 525EFI, any suggestions other than IAC?

Notices

Rhythmic Surging Idle on 525EFI, any suggestions other than IAC?

Old 10-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhythmic Surging Idle on 525EFI, any suggestions other than IAC?

Came back from a great weekend trip, pulled onto lift and noticed stbd motor surging at idle from 650-1100 RPM up and down in 5 sec intervals; if I advance throttle to 1300 motor runs fine (motor is 2007 with 221 hrs on it, well maintained). I replaced the IAC valve today and then a Fault Code 217 popped up after I started it. Mercury PDF says Fault 217 is Voltage - sensor power voltage low...Huh? Restarted the motor after shutting off and now Fault code doesn't come up but motor still surging in idle. The other thing I noticed was when I start it, the motor surges up at start to 2000RPM then comes down into the surge rhythm.
Any other ideas?? Thank you.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

tps sensor.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you clean the IAC valve orifice out
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Did you clean the IAC valve orifice out
Nope!! Of course not..I always take a part off 2-3 times before I do it the right way! Damn it.
...and I will look into the TPS sensor as well. Appreciate the tips.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Well I guess that's why they call U the big Cockingoff. Really do not know what else to say. Just messin with you and the screen name. Kind of warrants someone saying something about it.

You have no warning horns going off ? you have no other fault codes showing in the scan ? Any of your scan results showing sensors out of spec ranges ?

Anyways HP 525 Low sensor Power should give you 3 beeps (horn) 1.5 seconds long. it will show up on the Smartcraft monitor also. It will not put guardian in activation meaning NO power reduction mode. So do you have any of that going on ? Can you reach WOT and your full WOT RPM range ? How well does the motor start ? How well does the engine run thru out all RPM's ?

Next. I will not rule out the TPS but the TPS FAULT will activate guardian mode / Power reduction mode if it is a real fault. On your scan look at how much % of available POWER your scan results shows. 100 % available power showing on the scan means no power reduction mode - no guardian activated.

Next did you use a new gasket when you installed the IAC ? Did you warp the IAC when installing it - meaning crank one side down very tight then tighting the other side ? I agree all IAC cavity's need to be very clean. I posted some other info about IAC's in this same section.

Next here is what your FAULT CODE 217 is.

It is your 5v sensors - voltage power is to low. This means power that is supplied to all Smartcraft sensors (they all are +5 volts supplied) that can have excessive current draw on those 5 volt circuit. It could be in the mix as your paddle wheel harness is shorted or you have a Smartcraft connection problem, moisture problem, connector problem or a corrosion problem of some sort. Do not rule this out as your problem child - the 5 v sensors and or the wiring connection and or harness to them.

Anyways hope this helps and good luck I am off to Florida.

Last edited by BUP; 10-18-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I am off to Florida.
Quick!!!! Somebody shut down the borders.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Well I guess that's why they call U the big Cockingoff. Really do not know what else to say. Just messin with you and the screen name. Kind of warrants someone saying something about it.

You have no warning horns going off ? you have no other fault codes showing in the scan ? Any of your scan results showing sensors out of spec ranges ?

Anyways HP 525 Low sensor Power should give you 3 beeps (horn) 1.5 seconds long. it will show up on the Smartcraft monitor also. It will not put guardian in activation meaning NO power reduction mode. So do you have any of that going on ? Can you reach WOT and your full WOT RPM range ? How well does the motor start ? How well does the engine run thru out all RPM's ?

Next. I will not rule out the TPS but the TPS FAULT will activate guardian mode / Power reduction mode if it is a real fault. On your scan look at how much % of available POWER your scan results shows. 100 % available power showing on the scan means no power reduction mode - no guardian activated.

Next did you use a new gasket when you installed the IAC ? Did you warp the IAC when installing it - meaning crank one side down very tight then tighting the other side ? I agree all IAC cavity's need to be very clean. I posted some other info about IAC's in this same section.

Next here is what your FAULT CODE 217 is.

It is your 5v sensors - voltage power is to low. This means power that is supplied to all Smartcraft sensors (they all are +5 volts supplied) that can have excessive current draw on those 5 volt circuit. It could be in the mix as your paddle wheel harness is shorted or you have a Smartcraft connection problem, moisture problem, connector problem or a corrosion problem of some sort. Do not rule this out as your problem child - the 5 v sensors and or the wiring connection and or harness to them.

Anyways hope this helps and good luck I am off to Florida.
Hey thanks for your time BUP! and I appreciate your humor, no worries. I feel like I'm constantly Cocking Off with the boat as I try to learn the ins and outs of it's maintenance. Having fun so far and would rather stumble through things a bit rather than get taken advantage of by an unscrupulous mechanic (I know there are great mechanics out there, just having trouble finding one so far). This forum has already helped me tremendously in my bungling quest to "do-it-yourself" and enjoy learning so much from every one's posts.

So, as far as your questions..
the fault code only popped up once with some beeps that said Fault Code 217 on the SmartCraft monitor... No guardian mode, no power reductions. Motor doesn't miss at all, very smooth if I advance the throttle to 1300RPM. I can easily reach WOT to 5286 RPM making 79 MPH. Motor Starts very well but immediately starts and goes to slightly high idle at 2000RPM briefly, then after 5-6 seconds comes down into the surging mode of between 600-1100 RPM. Again, the fault code only showed one time, I have started the motor to trouble shoot about 10 times (the code popped up right after I put the new IAC valve on, but since hasn't popped up again). I put the valve on carefully, torqued evenly, with a new gasket, but didn't clean the orifice out that i was mounting it too (stupid!).
I suspect you are right about the corrosion issue with the harnesses or connectors... I'm looking into that now, and have ordered a TPS sensor just in case, feel like you can't have enough spare parts on hand!!
Thank you again for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Stop by BUP if you're in the FT. Myers/Cape Coral area! Enjoy your trip.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cockingoff
Hey thanks for your time BUP! and I appreciate your humor, no worries. I feel like I'm constantly Cocking Off with the boat as I try to learn the ins and outs of it's maintenance. Having fun so far and would rather stumble through things a bit rather than get taken advantage of by an unscrupulous mechanic (I know there are great mechanics out there, just having trouble finding one so far). This forum has already helped me tremendously in my bungling quest to "do-it-yourself" and enjoy learning so much from every one's posts.

So, as far as your questions..
the fault code only popped up once with some beeps that said Fault Code 217 on the SmartCraft monitor... No guardian mode, no power reductions. Motor doesn't miss at all, very smooth if I advance the throttle to 1300RPM. I can easily reach WOT to 5286 RPM making 79 MPH. Motor Starts very well but immediately starts and goes to slightly high idle at 2000RPM briefly, then after 5-6 seconds comes down into the surging mode of between 600-1100 RPM. Again, the fault code only showed one time, I have started the motor to trouble shoot about 10 times (the code popped up right after I put the new IAC valve on, but since hasn't popped up again). I put the valve on carefully, torqued evenly, with a new gasket, but didn't clean the orifice out that i was mounting it too (stupid!).
I suspect you are right about the corrosion issue with the harnesses or connectors... I'm looking into that now, and have ordered a TPS sensor just in case, feel like you can't have enough spare parts on hand!!
Thank you again for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Stop by BUP if you're in the FT. Myers/Cape Coral area! Enjoy your trip.
One more thing to double check is see if any vacuum lines, hoses or connections to the intake have been disconnected or broken.