Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Winterizeing for a week or two >

Winterizeing for a week or two

Notices

Winterizeing for a week or two

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Kentucky and we get an occasional cold snap that will send temps below freezing. Even then, I don't worry much if the boat is inside an enclosed garage. I'm assuming your boat is sitting outside, so it's a little more worrisome, but still probably not a big deal. Like others have said, the light bulbs should work. I actually drop one of the oil filled radiator space heaters in my bilge until I have a chance to winterize. Works well, and I have it plugged into an outlet that is controlled from a switch in my attached garage, so it's easy to kick on if I want. I usually set it on the low setting with the T-stat turned all the way up so it will run continuously without any chance of a spark from the switch. Never had a problem with it. I usually give in and winterize around Thanksgiving.

I remember one year with my first boat when the clock-radio alarm went off with the weatherman announcing that the temperature outside was 19*. I had the boat outside in a carport, so I sprang out of bed with visions of cracked blocks in my head. I ran out there and drained the block and manifolds - no harm. I have heard that the rule of thumb is 8 hours at or below 28*, but don't hold me to that one. I'm sure 24 hours at 31* would do it too.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Put it in the water, you will have nothing to worry about. And temps that cause a frost aren't going to crack anything. Even nights that get into the high 20's are fine. It is really the amount of time spent below freezing that matters more. This time of year you will be just fine.
AMEN

It has got to get pretty cold for a significant period for a block to freeze to cold soak and THEN freeze. this time of the year this shouldn't happen. now towards the mid to end of November that could be a different story

3pointstar
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the metro Detroit area and the coldest it might get is around 30 saturday night with most temps in the mid 40's to mid 50's during the day. I'm not worried about a block freezing from an overnight low in the 30's.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

There is more to freeze than just the block folks.

Oil cooler
Fuel cooler
Heat exchanger
Thermostat housing
Manifold/header jacket
What else?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

True it is not just the block to worry about. But we all know that liquid has a much higher thermal transfer coefficient than the ambient air does. So even if the ambient temps fall below freezing for a short period of time liquid will not following the same thermal loss. There is also radiant heat from through-out the day and with ambient temps ranging in the mid 40's to upper 50's. There is no way liquid will freeze or even gel in this area based on the current forecast in the next week.

Just my 02 cents
Old 10-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thurs night friday morning there calling for a hard freeze in my area. over night lows around 25.

Is the 24 for 24 still a common saying? 24 hrs at 24 degrees or colder for a engine to freeze.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live a hour from Detroit and my boat is sitting in the driveway and I have no worries with the up coming weather... Saturday looks to be the coldest with a low of 28 in the overnight hours... but thats only for a few hours at the very most... which is not enough for anything to freeze in an engine compartment. After that its nothing but 40's and 50's. No worries man!

Last edited by chrisf695; 10-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2nwiba0N0Y

This is your engine...This is your engine on ice.... Any questions?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I pulled this motor out of a boat that was given to me. It had sunk on land and was then given to me in January. It was winterized thankfully. Miraculously, once thawed out it was in pretty good shape.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531689[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Winterizeing for a week or two-frozen_sbc.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Registered

Well as long as it lived through last weekend, it only has to worry about salt and sun now. Boat is now in sunny south fl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.