Notices

Switch wiring question

Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you tried checking cleaning the circut breaker-fuse for this circut.
Also an amp meter isolated to this circut may shed some light.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it also happen using trim or tabs?
I don't recall if the seats and cabin power is the same circut breaker, but I'm leaning towards yes. If so, check that breaker.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-13-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

US1 FOUNTAIN - Ginger or Mary Ann?
PERSONALLY, I'LL TAKE MS. HOWELL SHE HAS ALL THE MONEY AND WON'T BE AROUND MUCH LONGER.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
You have a bad connection somewhere. Since it happens with both your seats and hatch, switches and hatch motors are not the issue. Look for the common connection point of BOTH the seats and side panel power lead. Look at the rear seat breaker

That power wire is plenty to do what it's intended for.

The radio draws very little, so use a speaker wire with aligator clips on each end. (Leave existing power wire hooked up) Connect 1 end to cabin switch and then work your way backwards checking at each and every connection between.

Thanks US1 I've read many of your posts and you seem quite knowledgable with Fountains which I appreciate. Are you suggesting the seat wiring on these boats is tapped in at the rear seat breaker and that's where I should start? Sticking my head and torso through those tiny side compartments to trace wiring is less than fun as you already know I'm sure! It would seem plausible that something is amiss back there since that area always gets crammed with stuff and wet items would potentially be placed in it by the previous owner.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

everything originates and is circut protected from those breakers under the seat. After being feed thru the battery switch of course. So your problem lies between the power lead from the battery at the breakers and the side panel IMO
Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Have you tried checking cleaning the circut breaker-fuse for this circut.
Also an amp meter isolated to this circut may shed some light.
I have not checked the connections at any of the breakers yet but it seems like where this is going.

Does it also happen using trim or tabs?
I don't recall if the seats and cabin power is the same circut breaker, but I'm leaning towards yes. If so, check that breaker.
It does not happen when I hit the trim or the tabs only the seats and the hatch. It was pretty awesome showing all our friends (who were in COMPLETE awe of its awesomeness) at the sandbar our new boat and having the radio shut down when I went to open the hatch to show them the motors! Feel good moment: FAIL! Lol!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Registered

everything originates and is circut protected from those breakers under the seat. After being feed thru the battery switch of course. So your problem lies between the power lead from the battery at the breakers and the side panel IMO
Roger that I will check and report back with my findings for sure. This has me excited enough to put on my thermals and climb under the cover to check this out tonight! Amazing how we can get motivated by just asking a simple question...
Old 01-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Registered

Diamond, don't forget to put di-electric grease (avaiulable at auto parts store) on any/all connections you remove and replace to protect from any further corrosion.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
Thanks US1 I've read many of your posts and you seem quite knowledgable with Fountains which I appreciate.
Thanks. Every once in awhile I can offer a rid bit. You got a lot if good advise and pointers. Just gotta step back and look at the whole picture and what applies to your particular setup.

BTW. left to choose between Ginger and MA.
Mary Ann always wins.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I had the same problem came down to 3 issues.
First is the switches themselves. I was getting almost a 1/2 volt drop across them. Replace them and I also soldered the contact where it is riveted to the contact post.

Second is your breaker pannel under the seat, bad place for it. Some ring termnals were loose some falling apart.

Third, it was/is a production boat. The circuit breaker pan el was a sub assembly that they plugged into the main harness. Most of my spade connectors were corroded.
There was enough wire that I took the spade connectors off putting new soldered and sealed ring terminals on and went directly to the breaker panel everything works much better after that.

Ended up with less then a 1/2 drop from battery to inside cabin.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.