Notices

Braided Line USCG

Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the insurance companies eyes and the USCG it's not. I dont know the coasties probably wouldn't say anything but they could and I don't want the fines. Not saying that it would happen just saying you find one that had a bad day and wanted to be a Butthole, but it's the insurance company that bothers me . I found Aeroquip AQP line is approved but it not braided , so maybe I'll go that way or stay with the rubber hose and stainless clamps. And yeah there is a rule about lines it must be stamped with a number which I have to look up cause I have forgotten .

Last edited by jamie 10017; 03-05-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
A braided line that is approved???
I mean I can see using a approved fuel fill hose but IMHO if its a braided fuel line its a whole lot better then a simple rubber line. As for water and oil lines is there even a rule? Ya, you don't want to use a plastic bilge pump hose on a oil filter line but if its better then what came out of the factory I wouldn't worry about it.
Rubber hose? Definetly not approved. Run whatever you want but for insurance purposes, that is their easy way out. Only hard line (stainless steel lines) like from merc. Rubber is allowed on the suction side.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Registered

It's not the insurance eyes. You are going to have to school your agent or change providers.

Braided hose should not be a problem, or get a good survey done by a USCG approved person.

Either way you should not have a problem getting insured, IMHO.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Registered

Parker 221FR marine fuel and engine hose. 221FR hose specifications and ... ISO 7840 and USCG approved. ... SAE J1527 TYPE A CLASS I, USCG SAE J1942 / ISO ...
Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Registered

Hello No SS braided hose will be USCG approved , Without a outer cover, if you were to get a leak it would not spray all over the engine. the hose above my not have the look that your looking for but is very good stuff. Buy Parker hose & add SS covering. John 27 years at sea
Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Rubber hose? Definetly not approved. Run whatever you want but for insurance purposes, that is their easy way out. Only hard line (stainless steel lines) like from merc. Rubber is allowed on the suction side.
I get they are always looking for an out (did insurance work for years) but I've sold a few boats over the years and they were inspected by the buyers certified surveyors and not one ever mentioned a rubber fuel line as an issue. It's just like the issue of T-clamps and hose clamps. The rule is you must use 2 hose clamps. I'll use a single T clamp and sleep fine at night and better then if I use the 2 hose clamps.