350 carb stolling shifting >

350 carb stolling shifting

Notices

350 carb stolling shifting

Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 carb stolling shifting

This is a new 2014 383 stroker with holley 750 (marine) carb. When I shift it seems to overload the power of the engine at idle. It sputters for about 5-10 seconds and eventually will Stoll. Drops the RPM to about 200 from 900.
It's not the shift interrupter switch. It's not a tight cable. It's not timing.
I've changed the power valves to smaller ones 3.0 with no difference.
Thinking about putting Niger idle jets. I've also adjusted the carb with a vacuum gauge with no difference. Any ideas.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

How many hours on carb since new or rebuild? Also make sure you have the correct meter block gaskets as well as there in the correct location. I've seen the bowls get screwed in place from holly as well as the demon carbs and the gaskets are not lined up causing air / fuel issues resulting in similar situations. Just a thought any way just in case you didn't ck gasket alignment as well as the proper ones. Seems odd though if the issue just surfaced though.

Also do you have a Vacuum leak somewhere and also maybe ck with a vacuum gauge to see what you have. Make sure your idle air mixture screws are functioning properly. When you say it sputters I asssume its rich and stalling out correct?

Last edited by getrdunn; 05-14-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Oboy, shift interupter switch means Alfalfa , and the 900rpm drop in gear is beating it !

Whose Niger ? And what's an Idle Jet ?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Are sure its not the shift interrupt switch ? If not then possible misadjusted intermediate shift cable or that shift cable is BAD . If too much resistance is in the workings of the intermediate shift cable when shifting into gear, the engine will stall everytime. 900 rpms is too high for an alpha outdrive and its dog clutch set up. You are wearing the hell out of it.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Oboy, shift interupter switch means Alfalfa , and the 900rpm drop in gear is beating it !

Whose Niger ? And what's an Idle Jet ?
Q 1 = president. Q 2 = Air Force 1 while (Q 1) kickin it on the golf course.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You say its a 2014 383.. What Manufacture or builder? . What ignition system are you using?

Chris
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Niger HUH. LOL. Not sure what I was thinking. I meant BIGGER jets. Allow more fuel??
I have adjusted the carbs with a vacuum gauge with no improvement. Yes I have twins. Same problem both engines. Running Thunderbolt IV ing.

No Alphas here slick. Not with 500 plus HP.

The engines were built by a local builder. From the new block up. Very tight build. The engines have ran this way since the carbs were out of the box a few years ago.

It is definitely a carb issue. I'm going to make a call to Holley tech and see what they have to say.

Its just funny how it can run through all RPM's perfectly, idle at the dock all day long. Put it in gear and it gets dropped to its knee's.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

If you actually have 500hp 383's, they will need more initial timing than what the TBolt IV 'normal' modules will give you when your total timing is set correct.

As a close guess, you'll need somewhere between 14-18* initial timing. And that should help things greatly, assuming your carbs aren't way off.

What do you hve for tbolt ignition modules ? 22's or 24's ?

There are no idle jets per say, there are idle feed channel restrictions...but I'm thinking that may be beyond your scope.

Anyway, tuning the carb does nothing without the timing being correct.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nauticaL ILLUSIONS
Niger HUH. LOL. Not sure what I was thinking. I meant BIGGER jets. Allow more fuel??
I have adjusted the carbs with a vacuum gauge with no improvement. Yes I have twins. Same problem both engines. Running Thunderbolt IV ing.

No Alphas here slick. Not with 500 plus HP.

The engines were built by a local builder. From the new block up. Very tight build. The engines have ran this way since the carbs were out of the box a few years ago.

It is definitely a carb issue. I'm going to make a call to Holley tech and see what they have to say.

Its just funny how it can run through all RPM's perfectly, idle at the dock all day long. Put it in gear and it gets dropped to its knee's.
I see this problem a lot when auto engine guys build boat engines.

If they idle perfectly out of gear and at all RPM and don't smoke or load up anywhere its likely not the carb - its likely you have a combination of too much cam as well as not enough timing at idle (as SBC mentioned) and a stock Tbolt 4 wont give it to you.

Curious if you know you have 500HP - you should have a dyno sheet which will indicate timing at idle and WOT. The builder should have tuned the carb on the dyno on one engine at min and then copied the settings over - or optimally dynod both to insure you didnt have a vac leak and that they were both consistent.

Was that 500HP dynod on wet or dry exhaust? You would be one of only a few guys with a true 500HP out of 383's in an outdrive boat what kind of exhaust are you running?

My 500HP 406 was on the edge of idling in gear so I know the problem you have.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-15-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

What I want to know were did the shift interrupters come from and are both motors doing this. More details are needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.