Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
502 mag efi rebuild upgrades/updates wile its apart? >

502 mag efi rebuild upgrades/updates wile its apart?

Notices

502 mag efi rebuild upgrades/updates wile its apart?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
if your not going to do heads, cam, exhaust, custom tune why bother, CRANE GOLD roller rockers will get you no gain, other than at the drinkin fountain, leave it alone and enjoy
I will echo this statement. Do NOT bother with a tune UNLESS you do significant mods.

OP, please PM me from my personal experience of testing and data acquisition before you send your ECM off. I have no monetary interest but can give personal insight that will be helpful in making your final decision.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking if and when I do mine I'll go the holly efi route, slightly bigger cam... but I just dumped a ton on a new shop, and cherry harvest sucked so... I guess ill make do for now.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
I'm thinking if and when I do mine I'll go the holly efi route, slightly bigger cam... but I just dumped a ton on a new shop, and cherry harvest sucked so... I guess ill make do for now.
After dealing with my AZ S&M intake woes, I said screw it and ditched the mefi for the Holley HP and an edelbrock single plane dominator intake with 2100 cfm throttle body. Now have potential for serious hp. I was dealing with a 600-620 hp 540 MPI that ran well till it spun Bearings but that was the limit of what that system could handle. It took a ton of work and system Band-Aids to get there.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to change to a roller cam I have a brand new one that was removed from a brand new 502 crate engine. It made 450hp and 560 ft. pds of torque.. I do have the matched set of springs that were installed in the heads also.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the jury is in.

Ill leave it all stock besides the MLS head gaskets. But if I find a good deal on crane gold's I wouldn't mind replacing the OEM rockers.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

The Scorpion endurance series is another good choice for rockers