Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Tricks for removing transom away studs? >

Tricks for removing transom away studs?

Notices

Tricks for removing transom away studs?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tricks for removing transom away studs?

I'm replacing some studs on a tr transom assy anyone have any tricks other than the standard procedure of heat and vice grips?

On steel sometimes I weld the stud but not sure about being in aluminum. My main concern is keeping the threading in the aluminum intact.

Also not really sure how much heat to use before it melts haha. I've already got one moving but any tips are welcome.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the studs cheery red with tourch, stay away from aluminum. Let them cool completely and then they will come out easy. Use two nuts to jam on the threads and take off with ease.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bawana
Get the studs cheery red with tourch, stay away from aluminum. Let them cool completely and then they will come out easy. Use two nuts to jam on the threads and take off with ease.

well i got em all out... been in there for 36 years and came out pretty easy thanks for the help i did what you said. Although i couldnt let them cool completely they still wouldnt budge when cold after heating them red, had to extract em once they were just cool enough that they wouldnt twist from the heat. used snap on bolt extractors and long ratchet

Last edited by sparky24; 07-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.