Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Help with a Engine Cover Hydraulic lift!! >

Help with a Engine Cover Hydraulic lift!!

Notices

Help with a Engine Cover Hydraulic lift!!

Old 07-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Engine Cover Hydraulic lift!!

I recently came across my dream boat and got a great deal on it! Its a 1997 Donzi 22ZX. There wasnt very many things that I needed to fix that cost much money mainly cosmetic things more then anything. With that being said I am having a heck of a time figuring out how I want to install the hydraulic engine cover rod. This is the part that lifts the engine cover up to look into the engine bay. All of the pictures that I have looked at show this piston in the center of the hatch, this one is already installed to the right of the cover but when it lifts up it leaves the left side of the cover sagging down, it can't be good for the cover. The problem I am having with mounting it in the center is that this boat got the 454 big block upgrade and there is not room in the engine bay to mount the piston on the front of the motor.

Has anyone already had any experience with this that could help?! Presentation is everything with these boats and right now it looks like crap with that cover sagging down I need to fix it!! Thanks ahead of time for all of your help!!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

You could get an identical lift cylinder and 'mirror' the one already installed.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Registered

You're right I have looked into that only problem is that they are super expensive so before I go down that road I want to make sure there are no other ideas out there first... It sounds like getting a second one at this point is the way to go though
Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SB
You could get an identical lift cylinder and 'mirror' the one already installed.
+1
Old 07-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sound like it maybe water soaked, rotten
Old 07-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its an engine hatch on a 22, the hatch should be solid and not flex.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It will flex a little, since it's not being supported in the middle. All boats with not enough room in the frt of the engine to put a single liftt in and in the middle, will do that.
=============================================

BTW; OP, I thought I saw the word 'Help' with a bunch of exclamation points in this thread. I must be halucinating again. LOL.

Just bustin ya.

You already know what you gotta' do to make it acceptable to you.

Mine is a single offcenter too. The slight flex doesn't bother me as it is what it is.I don't like supporting cylinders anway as they get in the way working on boats, so I'm not about to put another in.

That's my preference. We are all different.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered

Mine was converted to dual rams mounted in the aft end of the bilge. More dollars, but it removes that forward single center ram that seemed to always be in the way..
Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB

Mine is a single offcenter too. The slight flex doesn't bother me as it is what it is.I don't like supporting cylinders anway as they get in the way working on boats, so I'm not about to put another in.

That's my preference. We are all different.
Deutsch connectors on the rams are amazing.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Registered

I had a lift added to my boat when I bought it and they put it on the side. The first time I opened it the hatch flexed so much I thought it was going to break the hinge holding the hatch. I ended up finding a used one here on OSO and added it to the other side like your talking about. Works well but not perfect, even though there the same type they open at slightly different rates which means sometimes I have to bump the switch a couple of times after it closes to even it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.