Notices

Trim pump schooling

Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Trim pump schooling

I’m having so many stupid issues with trim pumps this summer I’m about to weld a drive in place and be done with it.
This is the deal. Got a Volvo 280T (has trim). It basically works off of a pre-alpha square bottom Mercruiser trim pump which after searching I found out is a high pressure – low volume pump. The newer style is low pressure – high volume pumps.
Now this is where I start to get confused.
First, how the hell do you tell them apart from being HV-LP or LV-HP? I know the old metal square type are HP/LV but after that its either a plastic reservoir or they look like a giant oil filter buts that about it as far as I can tell by a picture and a part #.
From what I have been reading you can replace the older style with the newer style but the trim system will just act faster?
The few they list as high pressure – low volume list for 3 to 4 times the average trim pump. There has to be a work around.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,.... Howdy F_in,... Long time, no chat,....

I can't answer yer question directly, But,...
Years ago when I yanked the 140/ MC-1 outa my barge, 'n dropped in a 4.3LX/ Alpha 1, I went to the new style plastic tank pump, 'n haven't looked back,....

I got rida all the trim indicator, trim limit, 'n reverse-lock BS,...
Just 2 hoses to the manifold, 'n the 4 lines to the rams(original MC-1 rams).....

As far as I know, both the hi-pressue, 'n low pressure are well over 1500psi, so either will work for yer purposes,....
Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks Bondo. Just wanted to confirm before ordering one.