Holley HP EFI system on a 500efi intake

Notices

Holley HP EFI system on a 500efi intake

Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Mark are you doing any before and after dyno pulls. Be interesting to see if there is a power difference between the 2 systems...
No, only the Holley.....The cost of remapping the 555, will pay for 1/2 of a Holley HP ECU on the retail side....The biggest down fall, is the Edelbrock 525 heads, 3/8 valves. I've changed the valve seat angles and throat dimensions to help flow, but limited on port size and flow rates..... Question is; when will the heads give up..... Marine Kinetics, on cam .680 lift for this pleasure version, running lightweight chrome moly retainers and 8205 plus springs from Isky. Johnson Lifters. Different heads and a custom intake, say from Wilson, would be nice.... Maybe the next time, when the budget is a little larger....TBs and upper plenums modified...
Old 09-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say talk to alex haxby, he would be the one for this...not sure how much better than the std 502 intake that the 500 is, but they have their short cummings...another would eddie young...both on here
Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If I was a betting man, I would bet the long runner tpi style of the 500EFI will make a boat load more torque say under 4500 rpm than a Holley Single plane style. However, because of tuninglengths and frequencies, a tall single plane intake with a plenum size and runner CSA to complement the engine of say a 502-540 near 600hp and max rpm of 5800rpm, the Holley style will pull past and beyond from 4500rpm and up.

So................I would love the test and see where it ends up.

BTW: We all know, right ? , that the 454/502MPI intake, 500EFI intake, and 525 Intake are tuned for different level and rpm motors right ? Right.
I like that quote..... I did a 540 for J Wurl, using a 500 EFI that he already purchased, unmodified, except for a block off plate, and a Tyler Crockett, TB mounted to the top of plenum....... he could never get the calibration, correct after numerous times of changes..... It was so bad, he had constant oil changes , we pulled the engine, went to the Holley HP, running a 2000 cfm TB and single plain intake.... Made more power and never another fuel issue.... The old system actually, washed the cylinders that had to be all addressed at time of conversion .....

On the dyno, that engine with the old intake, had some weird, power levels from that intake, engine would fall off, then pick back up after a certain rpm after 5000 rpms...That explains; the tuning levels between the two intakes.... I'm sure, that TB sitting in the center of the intake, really didn't help air flow having to make 90 degree bends to reach the runners.....