SBC tall valve cover clearance with stock merc exhaust >

SBC tall valve cover clearance with stock merc exhaust

Notices

SBC tall valve cover clearance with stock merc exhaust

Old 03-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SBC tall valve cover clearance with stock merc exhaust

What are the solutions for clearing roller rockers on sbc heads and valve covers that clear the stock mercruiser exhaust? All I have are tall stamped steel covers. Iron GM perimeter bolt heads. Will the fabricated aluminum covers help with the 3 angle tops? I really want to avoid buying exhaust spacers due to adding another gasket and another potential leak. I tried to get a dimensioned sketch from one supplier to determine if the fabricated covers would clear before buying but that apparently was asking too much from them. So I know others here have crossed this path, what were your solutions? Thank you.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

The trick I did was to use a double thick valve cover gasket. This gave me enough clearance to clear my Crower roller rockers but not come in contact with the exhaust manifold. The other issue is the internal valve cover bracing and oil breather baffle kind of get in the way. With some gentle wiggling the internal braces will fit between the rocker trunions. For the baffle you need to squeeze it just a little at the bottom of the baffle and it will fit between the rockers.

Once those two pieces get past the trunion centerline there is plenty of room.

Hope this makes sense. PM me if you want pictures.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I put some no name full rollers under center bolt OE covers by removing some of the internal unneeded bracing. The height was not an issue, but the rockers were too wide for the braces. Bet you can find a way.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, NHGuy, Trash had led me on this path. I found std. height covers just work if I squeeze the baffle tighter. With the 5/16" gasket from Speedway motors I have .022 clearance to the top of my polylocks. It's tight but everything fits and clears.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 94sylvan
Yes, NHGuy, Trash had led me on this path. I found std. height covers just work if I squeeze the baffle tighter. With the 5/16" gasket from Speedway motors I have .022 clearance to the top of my polylocks. It's tight but everything fits and clears.
Glad you found a solution.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by 94sylvan
Well at least your know in a hurry if your poly locks back off. All kidding aside .022 is close however as long as they clear you should trouble free depending on what material your gaskets are. Even the the steel core rubber ones will flatten some. Just check periodically to make sure the underside continues untouched as engine vibration, heat and time they could potentially rub and get metal shavings. I doubt it but won't hurt to keep a heads up anyway.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Well at least your know in a hurry if your poly locks back off. All kidding aside .022 is close however as long as they clear you should trouble free depending on what material your gaskets are. Even the the steel core rubber ones will flatten some. Just check periodically to make sure the underside continues untouched as engine vibration, heat and time they could potentially rub and get metal shavings. I doubt it but won't hurt to keep a heads up anyway.
The closest point is the top of the poly lock. The trunion, arm etc. are not even close. In fact it is the very very tip of the poly lock that barely comes in contact with a stock gasket. The thicker gasket is the trick. No worries about gasket compression. Been running that way for over 5 years. No issues. No oil leaks either.