Power Steering issue on 09 SeaRay 230 350 Mag >

Power Steering issue on 09 SeaRay 230 350 Mag

Notices

Power Steering issue on 09 SeaRay 230 350 Mag

Old 03-16-2016, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Steering issue on 09 SeaRay 230 350 Mag

I purchased a 2009 SeaRay 230 350 Mag Alpha I Gen 2, back in November of 2015. Didn’t get to test drive the boat before purchase. The steering wheel is extremely tough the first time I took it out on the lake didn't know the reason why. I checked the reservoir and found that the fluid level was low / empty. Purchase two small containers of mercury power steering fluid and used up 1.5 containers and filled up the reservoir. Didn't notice much difference in the power steering after I filled it up. Thought it might take some time to loosen up. Took the boat out 3 times now and the steering has yet to loosen up. I asked around and come to find out it should only take about 2 fingers to steer not two hands at low or high speeds on the plains. Mechanics are telling me it is either the power steering pump or the cylinder/actuator that may be the problem.

I do know that while turning it in either direction rapidly the steering does seem to get a bit loosen but not where it needs to be. While steering I had someone pull in the opposite direction of the stern drive and that does seem to loosen the steering wheel up a little but still nowhere it needs to be.

Has anyone come across a similar problem? Is the issue to be the power steering pump due to it being run on low fluids might have messed it up or is it the cylinder/actuator that is the problem? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Im pretty handy and able to general make most repairs like the impeller kit, starter, double battery on the boat myself but this seems out of my league. I also did some research and found that the Mercury power steering pump is also the same as a GM Power steering pump which is about $450 cheaper. Does anybody know how I can find the cross reference part number this way I can save money? If Im able to get the power steering for around $50 then I dont mind replacing out the pump just to see if this solves the issue.

I think my power steering pump part # is Merc Power steering Pump 16792A39 cross reference to GM Part #?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Un hook your steering cable from the actuator side and go up and turn the steering wheel slowly full left and full right with engine NOT running, then turn somewhat faster. If it is hard to turn at the wheel you need a steering cable. If it is free and turns very smoothly then go back to the outdrive - does that turn smoothly - if not most likely you need a new actuator, if it does turn side to side smoothly then it can be possible your pwr steering pump.

Take a 5 / 16 th clear hose shove it down the power steering reservoir - put your thumb over the top of the hose and pull it out to examine the fluid, any rust or crud ? If you have rust then most likely a power steering pump / reservoir and then possible an actuator if that is full of rust to.

These are just simple tests that can possibly pin point your problem without the testing gauges used. .There is certain OEM test procedures and tools that is needed as any OEM Merc shop should have and perform to figure the problem out to a T.

Last edited by BUP; 03-16-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

QUOTE by BUP: "If it is free and turns very smoothly then go back to the outdrive - does that turn smoothly - if not most likely you need a new actuator,"

I just performed the test. Harder to remove the cable then I expected. Im not able to remove it completely however the steering is loose the way it should be either direction. With the steering cable still be semi hooked to the actuator Im not able to turn the outdrive/stern drive itself.. So seeing that the steering wheel moves freely, Does this mean I can eliminate out a bad steering cable?

Sorry for the ignorance. Your help is definitely appreciated.

Here is picture of the cable before I touched anything, and another picture of the furthest distance Im able to remove the cable.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by vulaevu; 03-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes he means move the outdrive back and forth by hand with the steering unhooked. The fact that the steering is better with the engine running implies the pump, and probably the actuator are okay. The most likely culprit is going to be the steering cable. Unhook the cable the big nut off the cable, you can leave the pin still attached. Work the wheel back and forth, you'll see the cable she move away from the outdrive housing and back. If it is very tight while doing that, you know it's the cable. Easiest way to make sure you have the right cable, is pull out the old one and measure it. Follow the instructions on the people selling them that usually only about $120 or so for a new cable.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=vulaevu;4416982]QUOTE by BUP: "If it is free and turns very smoothly then go back to the outdrive - does that turn smoothly - if not most likely you need a new actuator,"

I just performed the test. Harder to remove the cable then I expected. Im not able to remove it completely however the steering is loose now the way it should be either direction. With the steering cable still be semi hooked to the actuator Im not able to turn the outdrive/stern drive itself.. So seeing that the steering wheel moves freely, Does this mean I can eliminate out a bad steering cable? Any suggestions on how to remove the cable completely. Ive tried pulling and yanking it but no luck.

Sorry for the ignorance. Your help is definitely appreciated.

Here is picture of the cable before I touched anything, and another picture of the furthest distance Im able to remove the cable.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Just tested

Last edited by vulaevu; 03-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, the wheel moves freely and you see the cable housing move back and forth. it is not the cable. at least not the cable sticking to the cable housing. it could be the cable sticking in the actuator. that can be repaired without buying parts. you have the end of the cable free from the tiller arm? and it goes part way into the actuator? you might now be at a point where the cable won't come out cuz of the geometry of the installation. the cable is held in place by that tight bend at the transom and a buncha tie wraps all up the side of the boat. you probably need to take the actuator off of the inner transom assy at this point.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Registered

Im busy with work all this weekend. I will give it a shot come early next week. Please feel free to reply with more advice everyone. This site has been a blessing with folks like you to lend a helping hand...
Old 03-18-2016, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you had to add that much fluid, it went somewhere, and running low on fluid probably did the pump in...only sure way to tell replace or have the pump output pressure checked