Notices

Lifter noise

Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise

[B]LOOKING FOR SOME HELP! [/B] I have GM 502's 1988ish I have some noise in a valve cover at higher rpm's. I am going to replace the hydraulic lifters thinking I have 1 or more not recharging, but should I replace the cam at the same time. I have been told so many stories , is there someone that can lead me in the right direction.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

are they flat tappet or roller? There was no 502 made in 1988.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a flat tappet and the motor is from 1992
Old 06-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people say not to change lifters on a flat tappet cam as they wear in together. That being said I've done it without issue on a stock motor using moly assembly paste. Depends on your budget and what you want really.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckm
[B]LOOKING FOR SOME HELP! [/B] I have GM 502's 1988ish I have some noise in a valve cover at higher rpm's. I am going to replace the hydraulic lifters thinking I have 1 or more not recharging, but should I replace the cam at the same time. I have been told so many stories , is there someone that can lead me in the right direction.
You may have lobes beginning to wear off also. I'd pull intake and visibly observe cam and then get a solid lifter and start checking lobe lifts with a dial indicator. If it is the lobes they will go very quickly so just don't let it go. Pull oil filter and cut into it to inspect for metal.