Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   How to run a wideband? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/342723-how-run-wideband.html)

GrannySShifting 11-17-2016 08:53 PM

How to run a wideband?

On a boat with wet exhaust? Can you put a sandwhich plate of some kind between the manifold and riser and that will keep the water out of that area and it will get introduced downstream?

Have a couple of LSA blown LSs that will be floating and need tuned in the near future:evilb:

ezstriper 11-18-2016 06:19 AM

its a crapshoot, if it gets wet at all its done, killed many, we found only way to get to work was adding it the the header tube about 10" from head, manifolds who knows ?? every engine different come to revision

GrannySShifting 11-18-2016 08:34 AM

These will have oem cams from the zr1 so reversion should be minimum

indysupra 11-18-2016 09:41 AM

I have had good Luck with running the innovate extenders to prolong the life of the sensor also.

turbom700 11-18-2016 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting (Post 4501896)
These will have oem cams from the zr1 so reversion should be minimum

I have a 5.3l in a ls running both stock and ls9 camshaft, both had horrible reversion issues. Just an FYI

Not sure how I'm going to fix it yet but I'm talking to a few cam suppliers and having a custom one made.

As far as 02's they work great for tuning but they wont last much over 10hrs. I'm running Holley HP efi on my set-up and I just turn closed loop off after I got everything dialed in. This is on a twin turbo LS on pump gas as well.

Trash 11-18-2016 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting (Post 4501767)
On a boat with wet exhaust? Can you put a sandwhich plate of some kind between the manifold and riser and that will keep the water out of that area and it will get introduced downstream?

Have a couple of LSA blown LSs that will be floating and need tuned in the near future:evilb:

Depending on the exhaust manifold type the sandwich plate is common for traditional Merc style manifolds. WAGS engineering makes a piece as does LA BOAT Parts. For headers or other exhausts it would require fabrication to install an O2 bung in the driest section. The further from water introduction the better.

Trash 11-18-2016 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by turbom700 (Post 4501943)
As far as 02's they work great for tuning but they wont last much over 10hrs. .

That is a blanket statement, and while true for your application, is not true for all. I've got 6 years and 200 hours out of my Innovate unit running full time.

hallj 11-19-2016 09:44 AM

Yes you can. Almost ten years since I have made mine. My ecu runs closed loop.

Jeff

turbom700 11-20-2016 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trash (Post 4501982)
That is a blanket statement, and while true for your application, is not true for all. I've got 6 years and 200 hours out of my Innovate unit running full time.

You are 100 right but not all are this way, and most the ones I have been around don't last to long, it really is going to depend on the exhaust set-up and cam shaft, there is a lot better cam selection out there for BBC,SBC then there is for LS motors currently. I have talked to a handful of custom cam guys told them my application the issues I'm having and not one of them has a good solutions, before I go spending 400 on a cam and another 250 on a sensor I want to make dang sure my problem will be resolved.

underpsi68 11-20-2016 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by turbom700 (Post 4502615)
You are 100 right but not all are this way, and most the ones I have been around don't last to long, it really is going to depend on the exhaust set-up and cam shaft, there is a lot better cam selection out there for BBC,SBC then there is for LS motors currently. I have talked to a handful of custom cam guys told them my application the issues I'm having and not one of them has a good solutions, before I go spending 400 on a cam and another 250 on a sensor I want to make dang sure my problem will be resolved.

I have the original sensor on my wb for the last 9 years and still going strong. I have ran e85 and methanol thru it as well. Leaded gas will kill a sensor fast.

Just curious where you are installing your sensor?