Notices

496 Vibrations

Old 01-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vanmejt
Can I use an automatic style flex plate in lieu of that heavy flywheel?
no,you need the drilled&tapped holes in the flywheel for bolting on the drive hub,unless you go with a omc drive hub,it bolts on with studs that also bolt the flywheel on.absolutly nothing wrong with using a heavy flywheel,mercury marine sold a million of them that way.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Yes. Check with your machine shop...some will want everything including hat you said and wristpins/locks if used , rings, and etc.

Here is a good quote from this forum on flywheels that GM and Merc used. The Pat #'s are GM.
i did not know and have never seen a internally balanced 454 from the factory,ya learn something new every day!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i did not know and have never seen a internally balanced 454 from the factory,ya learn something new every day!
Pretty sure they didn't.

I think they just list it that way since 427 stuff isn't searched for much.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255729...utch-only.html

DESCRIPTION
This 14" diameter manual transmission flywheel accepts a 10 1/2" and 11" diameter heavy-duty clutch. It can be used with all internally balanced Chevy big-block V8 engines. Technical Notes: Do not use with externally balanced 454 ci engines. Use with neutral balanced damper P/N 3879623. 168 tooth starter ring gear. For use with Mark IV engine only.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have a 489 in the shop that i am rebuilding,i finished the disassembly today ,it has a forged scat crank and it is externally balanced.they offer it for folks that don,t want to replace the existing balancer&flywheel.it was built 13 years ago and the assembly was balanced at a machine shop,i know this because the shop that did the balance job scribed their name and the bob weight and the date it was done on the crankshaft.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Honestly I think all those stroker assm kits should be internally balanced. I would never trust an already so called balanced kit anyway but that's just me. Easy to drop off flywheel and balancer at machine shop to have them neutrally balanced.

OP should contact where he got it from and just confirm what is what and go from there. He might get lucky.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Doesn't surprise me at all. Honestly I think all those stroker assm kits should be internally balanced. I would never trust an already so called balanced kit anyway but that's just me. Easy to drop off flywheel and balancer at machine shop to have them neutrally balanced.

OP should contact where he got it from and just confirm what is what and go from there. He might get lucky.
that is why i asked him to post his rotating assembly part number,i was going to attempt to gather information about it but no number posted.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scat Series 9000 Cast Pro Comp Stroker Lightweight Crankshafts 9-454-4250-6135L
Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 185 Posts

Can you feel the vibration in the boat when it's running?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it shakes pretty bad....I thought I had a miss or valve train issue but after inspecting every checks out.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Registered

the listed number is not a rotating assembly,it is a crankshaft.not knowing the rest of the parts used in the build it is probibaly not balanced,pretty obvious if the engine is shaking.time to remove engine and get the rotating assembly balanced.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just from my build, I went with the eagle forged crank kit. I went with the externally balanced. My machine shop recommended what flywheel and balancer to go with. I had him put it together and balance everything. I know you already have it together but I would take it to a shop. You can't beat having proven data that it spins smooth and all the clearances check out. Also I found all dyno guy that was 500 to run it for 4 hours. In my opinion the everything Xtra $ spent is all for the piece of mind. This way I know that it is together and running correctly. This way I don't have to build it again and spend 10x the amount I spent to do it right the first time. Again just my opinion but pull it and spend some money to save a lot of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.