Notices

525sc piston ring advice

Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525sc piston ring advice

I'm looking for advice on rings for my 525sc. I have a rebuilt 525sc roller motor with JE pistons. When I bought the 40hr motor it it was ran with carb issues prior and it glazed the cylinders. I rebuilt the carb and it runs great, but has crankcase pressure under boost. It will push oil out of the dip stick if I don't cap it. It has lower compression numbers but It still makes between 5-6psi of boost. I'm going to re-ring the motor, what ring would be best? Is glazing inevitable on 525sc's? I read about on moly rings for glazed cylinders, I'm wondering if that's the way to go, or ball hone and use cast rings? Thx
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if the cylinder walls are glazed the engine needs to be took apart to the bare block and honed with deck plates on a professional honing machine because if a good hone job is not done the new rings will never seat up with the cylinder walls and it will continue to have blowby.j&e makes a nice ring,i really like the total seal ap rings.just fyi,moly rings come in steel or cast iron,the moly is applied to the face of the top ring normally.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Mike pretty much nailed it. i don't think anyone would disagree. A simple ball hone to deglaze with cast rings I would only consider in a lower hp NA build. Any imperfections in those cylinders your back to square one. Professional honing is a cheap insurance policy.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Btw forgot to ask how many hours total on engine now?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Btw forgot to ask how many hours total on engine now?
I put about 80hrs plus the original 40. I had the heads off mid season last year and saw the cyl's were mirrored. I rotated the crank and looked at all 8 cyl's . No other visual issues other than the mirroring.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Pull the motor put and have it professionally honed w/ a deck plate. I would recommend Total Seal AP top ring with a Napier 2nd ring.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Pull the motor put and have it professionally honed w/ a deck plate. I would recommend Total Seal AP top ring with a Napier 2nd ring.
holy echo batman!,lol.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rings now days want a specific hone, so whatever rings you get make SURE the machine shop has the ability to follow their specs on the honing...this has become very tricky now, and if you dont you will end up exactly the same as you are now...telling you this from experiance...