Notices

Gantry Cranes

Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think that's a great looking design. Did you layer up some plywood into laminate structure? I'd like to learn the details.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Picture of mine made out of 6x6, 4x4 for the feet, and 2x6 and 2x4. Top beam is 3 2x12s.
Attached Thumbnails Gantry Cranes-100_1160_small.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Homemade one off of craigslist. 6 inch square posts, 6 inch I-beam and a 1 ton hoist and trolley. I think your gantry is going to have to be at least 12 feet high. Take some measurements. Mine is 12' and it clears by 2 inchs. remember the average engine is going to weigh a 1000 lbs. Be Safe!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramos45
Built mine out of wood and galvanized hardware and used a chain hoist from HF. I have the detailed plans at home, let me know and I'll snap a pic for you. In total it's about 14ft tall. I've used it to pull and install a total of 3 times. Total cost was around $215 in wood and hardware plus the cost of the hoist, I had chain left over from another project. I consider it a big win be it that local shops were asking $500 to simply lift the engines out. Here are some pics I have on me for reference.

Attachment 571376Attachment 571377
Hey jason, I copied your plans last year but haven't pulled my motors yet. How do you get that thing raised?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne272
Hey jason, I copied your plans last year but haven't pulled my motors yet. How do you get that thing raised?
His is virtually identical to mine, and while I can't speak for how he did it, I attached a tow strap to the top beam when it was laying on the ground. Pulled the tow strap and as the legs dug into the ground pulled/tilted the gantry up.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
His is virtually identical to mine, and while I can't speak for how he did it, I attached a tow strap to the top beam when it was laying on the ground. Pulled the tow strap and as the legs dug into the ground pulled/tilted the gantry up.
Pretty much the same here but instead of digging into the ground we butted the legs against something solid and heavy and walked it up. While one holding it upright I went around and attached the leg supports. It's quite the task getting it up.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Mine is 12' ish to the roof and 14' ish over all and it is really close ..

Attachment 571341

Attachment 571343

If I had an intercooler forget it
I have the same engine sling and I cant use it because I lose a foot of lift. Still using chains.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Might want to search used forklifts also...
much handier than gantry and can be found for 500-1000 readily.
you will be surprised how much you will use o e if you have it.

just a thought....
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
Might want to search used forklifts also...
much handier than gantry and can be found for 500-1000 readily.
you will be surprised how much you will use o e if you have it.

just a thought....
I do a lot by myself and love the I beam and chain fall only cause of the extremely tight tolerances at times. I have a loader I was going to give an attempt with blower motors however with the worn hydraulics etc it made it difficult so I just removed the intakes, blowers etc and strappped a chain from head to head and only had an inch or two left. I really like the ibeam and chainfall however with our 12' ceiling leaves me limited.

Regardless your right about the forklift as long as long as it doesn't maintenance you cause usually the cheap ones for sale are mostly cause their about worn out. My biggest problem with forklift and or front end loader is the throttle man. Fingers can be reattached but crushed skulls can be detrimental.

I will I'll be facing the same here soon with my 12 meter and really prefer to install complete if at all possible. Lot of good ideas here. I do like the forklift over the two loaders I have. Forklifts can be very handy. I grew up on a farm. I will post a pic later how I got engines in truck on pallets that I sold last year. My bay with the ibeam and chainfall was occupied.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

All good points on the forklift...

you can still utilize a chain fall with a forklift in order to work alone.
also I find electric units are very cheap due to the cost of the batteries which usually fail before the unit. One could place 3 or 4 12v batteries in place of the large industrial steel case units for short term work...
a 5k electric that has many hours left in the drive and lift can be bought for 500$ in alot of cases...
I find a forklift useable for many different things compared to a gantry, nothing wrong with a gantry mind you....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.