Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Installing new transom assemblies, rear motor mount spring washers and fiber washers >

Installing new transom assemblies, rear motor mount spring washers and fiber washers

Notices

Installing new transom assemblies, rear motor mount spring washers and fiber washers

Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installing new transom assemblies, rear motor mount spring washers and fiber washers

Replacing both of my worn out transom assemblies with brand new ones. I noticed there is a u shaped rubber washer on the new inner plate where the fiber washers normally go.
When comparing the parts list between my old transom assemblies vs the new ones, I see the spring washer isnt used now.
Whats used for using my original flywheel housings onto the new transom assemblies?

Editted....

I removed the new inner plates and reused my original plates and will stay with the fiber washers and spring washer setup. Now, about the exhaust bellows vs tubes???

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-22-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Also, the new transom assemblies come with the accordian style exhaust bellows. My original ones are of the open ended tube type. What determines which one is used? Motors are stock 7.4l, Exhaust is the plain quiet thru the transom assemblies, not thru hull or silent choice.
Thanks

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-22-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the new innerplates but you must go with the old setup with springs and so!
The springs are only not need when you mount the newer rubber bearings in the flywheelhousings!This new ones are a bit longer so no spring then,only a stanless washer!
When you leave old flywheelhousings at the engigine,mount them like before with springs.
Regards! Michael
Old 03-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Also, the new transom assemblies come with the accordian style exhaust bellows. My original ones are of the open ended tube type. What determines which one is used? Motors are stock 7.4l, Exhaust is the plain quiet thru the transom assemblies, not thru hull or silent choice.
Thanks
The exhaust tube is best with a B3 drive because the amount of spce available for exhaust to exit. The B1 with only one prop does not have the same problem. That said, the tube IMO is best for any BB app over bellows
Old 03-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Thanks.

I have swapped out the inner plates, reusing my old ones as I didnt know what would be needed and the old ones were just fine.

Yes, Ive read many install the tubes over bellows. Only reason I could find is for better breathing, but at a cost of a slightly increase in noise and in some cases exhaust soot on the back of the boat using the tubes. Makes sense since the exhaust can exit higher now. Just didnt know if the bellows can support a stock BBC.