What Parameters to Datalog?

Notices

What Parameters to Datalog?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default What Parameters to Datalog?

'96 7.4 LX MPI MEFI 1.

Working out the last of an idle issue, I.E. Intermittent surging just off idle. I was thinking of logging TPS, IAC, RPM, Spark Advance.

What parameters would you log with a laptop software based scanner?

Thanks for any help you can lend!!
Keith
Old 06-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about spark advance around idle. Some of the spark stabilization has the advance all over the place during idle. You could do throttle sweeps Key On, engine off to see if the voltage sweeps smoothly.

TPS, IAC RPM, MAP and also look at AFR if you can.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
I wouldn't worry too much about spark advance around idle. Some of the spark stabilization has the advance all over the place during idle. You could do throttle sweeps Key On, engine off to see if the voltage sweeps smoothly.

TPS, IAC RPM, MAP and also look at AFR if you can.
Thanks Kindly for the reply. I was only going to do spark as I'm hanging onto the coat tails of another fella with a 502 MPI that had the same issue as I. He finally solved it after replacing the ignition coil. He found the coil output to be weak and the MPI was attempting to make up for said weak coil. In doing so he had the same throttle surge I'm experiencing. I have since switched over the "good engine" ignition coil to the "bad engine" and just waiting on a fair weather day to see if it corrects the "bad engine" surge issue and/or switches the issue to the "good engine."