mechanical fuel pump + water pump combo leaking gear lube >

mechanical fuel pump + water pump combo leaking gear lube

Notices

mechanical fuel pump + water pump combo leaking gear lube

Old 06-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default mechanical fuel pump + water pump combo leaking gear lube

One of my new to me HP500's fuel/water pump combos is leaking gear lube. Ive rebuilt a water pump before with a bearing & seal kit from Amarket marine, but have been told that rebuilding these is a lot more complicated and im better off buying a new or good used unit. Can anyone verify that? Just changing the pump isnt going to fix the problem, will it?

Last edited by blown; 06-12-2018 at 12:11 AM. Reason: i missed a question
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I've rebuilt several of them and had no issues. Haven't bought from aftermarket marine but would think they had the correct parts. Put the seals in the correct way?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

unless the shaft has damage around the seal area where it seeps past, there should be no problem in rebuilding them....i've done more then a few. The last few i've done i even went as far as getting bearings with full contact seals on them, removing the inner seals and cleaning out the grease before installing them...just one more line of defense against leakage

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

NEW Airtex fuel pump units are $75 or so. 60932 was the PN for my 1996 454 MPI, you're looks similar. Many owners have have raved about aftermarket SS impeller/pump housing with new pulley over OE.

Last edited by Tractionless; 06-16-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the offer. On friday i found in the garage an extra bearing and seal kit which i had ordered a few years ago from Amarket Marine to fix water pumps on my old motors. Different pumps (without the lube resevoir) but the same bearing and seals. Took it over to a machine shop, got em replaced, gear lube leak is gone. One more thing off the list.

BTW the old timer at the machine shop noted that these were high quality bearings that Amarket supplied, better than what came out of the pump and what you can generally find as replacements nowadays.