Best set up for block drains >

Best set up for block drains

Notices

Best set up for block drains

Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I installed these on our old Top Gun. It greatly cut down winterizing time!! 3 hours of playing twister to ~15 minutes for both engines. I was worried about them falling due to vibration but never observed an issue...

https://www.directmaterial.com/stain...0-psi-wog.html
Those are slick. The block threads are 1/4” npt, correct?

I couldn’t get a good grip on the existing SB side plug and stripped the head off. Ended up taking the exhaust off and now need to go at it with pb blaster and a pipe wrench. #Doh!

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 12-18-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Could you not also run hose from the block drains, manifold drains and the sea water pump drain down to a common manifold similar to the Mercruiser system.
https://www.ebay.com/i/123060649398?chn=ps
Old 12-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Those are pretty cool JB ^^^^^^ how long are they ??
Yeah, it was a sweet set up my old mechanic buddy suggested... They are only ~1.5 to 2" long..
Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69

Could you not also run hose from the block drains, manifold drains and the sea water pump drain down to a common manifold similar to the Mercruiser system.
The thing I liked about the ones I installed is you were still able to access with an awl to poke away and metal/rust build up...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine cost 3 bucks and work real good.
The reason I first did it was because the threads in the block I had got screwed up over the years. After the first winterizing I did it to every motor I touched. Straight run so easy to poke through. Brass on brass and if something is missing its a quick trip to Depot to replace.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69

Its a great idea but how are you going to stab all engine side drain holes to clear them from rust - scale - sediment - sand and so on. Thats a crack block waiting to happen down the road. These basically are the same as the OEM Merc single drain point system - one valve set up to drain the water from all those sides. That does not work down the road because you have to unclip at the block and stab the crap out of those drain holes to clear from rust and scale and sand so the water can drain out of the block. Plus other areas get so plugged up as well.

Mercruiser has a single drain point system, it has been out for 15 years give or take on the years. Anyone can buy that. One knob drains all, until it gets plugged with the usual stuff. When that happens it does not work so good.

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:04 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

no matter what drains or extension you put in water drain holes you still have to stab it to make sure its clear so the water can drain all out. And on the ball valve you still have to reach with your hand to manually move the valve to open it up.. One still needs the access and reach for that install. With that said if you do not have the access to install it with the engines in the boat how are you going to have access to open up the valve to drain with the engines installed for winterization ? Just asking

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
no matter what drains or extension you put in water drain holes you still have to stab it to make sure its clear so the water can drain all out.

Not picking on your post, just using your valid point here.

In the past when I did have to go thru the drain the block at seasons end what I always did several times during the season while sitting in the slip was to pull the drain plugs and run the engines, just to flush sediment, much as possible out of the fittings/block. Honestly in many years I don't recall ever having plugged up drain fittings at the end of the season.

Closed cooling is a godsend come fall. Couple minutes and four of those little blue wing plugs and that's all she wrote.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
no matter what drains or extension you put in water drain holes you still have to stab it to make sure its clear so the water can drain all out. And on the ball valve you still have to reach with your hand to manually move the valve to open it up.. One still needs the access and reach for that install. With that said if you do not have the access to install it with the engines in the boat how are you going to have access to open up the valve to drain with the engines installed for winterization ? Just asking
I agree with you whole heartily! Thanks for expanding on where I was going.
Jr.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I can reach in there to turn the valve with little problem and even stab at it. Having room for the wrench and getting it put back in blind is the issue. I ordered a couple valves and will give it a shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.