Considering electric Fuel Pumps

Notices

Considering electric Fuel Pumps

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Considering electric Fuel Pumps

My 489's are currently apart having clearances checked and other issues addressed. They are at a more experienced high performance shop with marine experience. Upon inspection, my engine guy found that the fuel pump lobes on my cams (Howards part# 120405-10) are showing some wear. Something about my mechanical pumps were not right. I was running some holley pumps. I was considering doing away with the mechanical pumps and going electric, and keeping my current cams. Otherwise, I'll have to replace my cams.

Recommendations? I'm not familiar with running electrical fuel pumps in an offshore boat or if it's advisable? Or should I just buy new cams and address the mechanical fuel pump problem?
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I run them in my restored race boats. Just have them dash switched but in a normal boat you will need to add a oil pressure switch and do some wiring. You cant have the fuel pump run when the motor isn't in a boat. The O/P switch will only come on when there is like over 5psi oil pressure which happens when cranking the motor.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 284 Posts

Ahh Ok. Which pump would you recommend?
Old 02-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I run electric carters, 5-6 psi internally regulated, to Holley carbs. No issues here. Mount them LOW otherwise they struggle, mine are 1/2 way down from the top of the tank and no issues.

I prefer to have oil pressure switches control them, but have a bypass switch for trOubleshooting or getting home when the pressure switch dies.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
My 489's are currently apart having clearances checked and other issues addressed. They are at a more experienced high performance shop with marine experience. Upon inspection, my engine guy found that the fuel pump lobes on my cams (Howards part# 120405-10) are showing some wear. Something about my mechanical pumps were not right. I was running some holley pumps. I was considering doing away with the mechanical pumps and going electric, and keeping my current cams. Otherwise, I'll have to replace my cams.

Recommendations? I'm not familiar with running electrical fuel pumps in an offshore boat or if it's advisable? Or should I just buy new cams and address the mechanical fuel pump problem?
Thanks.
They make a plastic fuel pump rod it wont ware camshaft. was in a pair of 1050s I just did they work great. Think its made of polymer not sure I spelt it rite
Old 02-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I have run the aeromotive pump and bypass regulator for years now. Reliable and quiet. The pressure switch runs to a relay that runs to the pump for safety but also kills the engine if there is a loss of oil pressure. The pump is easily jumped to prime your carbs after any extended lay up. All and all a vast improvement over mechanical. There is a lot of plumbing involved and you need a port for the fuel return or a t into your fill hose. The aeromotive filters are *****in too ,at the risk oh sounding opinionated .
Old 02-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

I prefer mech. pumps we run the Baker pumps with brass tipped push rods. they don't fail. and if anyone can say they have never lost an electric fuel pump there lying.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I won’t lie. Burned a couple Holley blue pumps almost through the hull. Those things should be outlawed! Knock wood, the current electric holding up. 300 hrs. Hope I didn’t jinx it.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I prefer mech pumps myself but just moved to FI, and have found Weldon pumps to be pretty solid.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think I would do them if I didn't have to. Like I said I have them in my old race boats. One because it has a Gen V motor in it and the other is because of the motors being such B-words I like being able to prime the double pumpers with a switch at the dash. But these are race boats and I like being able to shut the fuel down at the dash if something goes wrong like these death traps can every time out. lol. After killing a couple fuel pumps I now use Carter Competition Series Electric Fuel Pumps and I put them as close to but after the fuel filter that way no matter how long it sits the pump wont ever run dry can it will draw off the filter's reserve.
I know you are having issues with the cam / fuel pump. By the time you build a proper electric system fixing what you have may be easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.