Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Oil Pan Plug Threads - Mercruiser Cast Aluminum >

Oil Pan Plug Threads - Mercruiser Cast Aluminum

Notices

Oil Pan Plug Threads - Mercruiser Cast Aluminum

Old 03-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, it appears that the pans were tapped for 3/8 NPT during a "rebuild" in the past. The pan threads look nice, they are tapered, but a little over tapped so the hex head plug is bottoming out on the hex before the threads tighten up enough. I switched to an internal hex style plug to get that last turn and everything seems to be OK. The new plug sits just below the outside of the pan. Hopefully this is the last oil leak I have to chase

- ALex
Old 03-21-2019, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope. Won't be the last. Pipe threads wear with each use. This was a butcher's brilliant idea. And the pan is aluminum. Those drain plugs eventually need welded or helicoiled. If you get them to hold oil, use a dipstick sucker to change the oil until time to pull the engines.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive had to repair these kind of hack jobs , I would get you some brass 3/8npt nipples with a hex on them.
Screw them into the pans , then use Brass pipe caps with a hex . That way you can drain the oil without wearing the pans threads any deeper.
Its a good stop gap till you can do the pans right.
You can also go too your local hydraulic shop and have them make you a hose , with 3/8 npt male on each end for drain extensions.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I ended up getting both plugs to seal for now, and the opposite side of each pan has a dipstick screwed into the drain plug hole, so I can change the oil with a dipstick sucker.

going to keep an eye on it and limp it along until I have a real reason to pull the engines.