Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
7.4 Mag IAC/Fuel Pres Reg Replacement Intake Removal? >

7.4 Mag IAC/Fuel Pres Reg Replacement Intake Removal?

Notices

7.4 Mag IAC/Fuel Pres Reg Replacement Intake Removal?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 7.4 Mag IAC/Fuel Pres Reg Replacement Intake Removal?

Need to replace the IAC and fuel pressure regulator on one of my 7.4 Mag motors. Never worked on these before. Do I have to remove the big "bread box" intakes off to get to everything? Do I pull the torx button head bolts out and then pull it off? Seems like the only way to get to anything. Will I need to replace plenum gaskets? Can't find anything about it on YouTube.

Thanks.

Last edited by BajaFresh; 04-22-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

You might be able to access the IAC easier with the flame arrestor removed but it can still be difficult. Pulling the top half of the intake off makes it significantly easier. Yes the torx button head bolts need to come out. There is a very thin gasket between the top and bottom half and I don't believe it is available anymore. Proceed with caution in that regard. If the gasket is not damaged it can be reused.

Don't drop any items down the runners with the top removed! Ask me how I know! lol I had one of those button head bolts drop down runner. It was virtually out of sight and since it is stainless I couldn't fish it out with a magnet. Took some creative McGuyvering to retrieve. Basically a wood dowel with a wad of sticking tape on the end.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
You might be able to access the IAC easier with the flame arrestor removed but it can still be difficult. Pulling the top half of the intake off makes it significantly easier. Yes the torx button head bolts need to come out. There is a very thin gasket between the top and bottom half and I don't believe it is available anymore. Proceed with caution in that regard. If the gasket is not damaged it can be reused.

Don't drop any items down the runners with the top removed! Ask me how I know! lol I had one of those button head bolts drop down runner. It was virtually out of sight and since it is stainless I couldn't fish it out with a magnet. Took some creative McGuyvering to retrieve. Basically a wood dowel with a wad of sticking tape on the end.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll try to be careful to not drop anything! LOL
Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Gaskets are still available for the upper plenum. You will likely need them as the little buggers with the print-o-seal on them do tend to stick and are delicate. Extremely overpriced at $39, but it is Merc and not used on anything elsewhere in auto world.
https://www.cpperformance.com/p-4795...-805522a1.aspx

With that vortech billet arrestor, you should remove the 4 stainless allen heads holding that on and the throttle body will come right off. IAC is mounted underneath and is a 5 min swap even with pulling arrestor off. there is a gasket between the TB and plenum though, I've never had one rip and stick however and have been able to reuse. No need to remove the upper plenum just to change IAC.

You will likely need to remove upper plenum to change fuel pressure regulator as it is mounted on the back of the fuel rail.

Why do you need a new IAC? Do you have a known fuel pressure issue? If your fuel pressure is low, the new regulator will likely fix the poor idle issue if that is what is happening.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 04-23-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Gaskets are still available for the upper plenum. You will likely need them as the little buggers with the print-o-seal on them do tend to stick and are delicate. Extremely overpriced at $39, but it is Merc and not used on anything elsewhere in auto world.
https://www.cpperformance.com/p-4795...-805522a1.aspx

With that vortech billet arrestor, you should remove the 4 stainless allen heads holding that on and the throttle body will come right off. IAC is mounted underneath and is a 5 min swap even with pulling arrestor off. there is a gasket between the TB and plenum though, I've never had one rip and stick however and have been able to reuse. No need to remove the upper plenum just to change IAC.

You will likely need to remove upper plenum to change fuel pressure regulator as it is mounted on the back of the fuel rail.

Why do you need a new IAC? Do you have a known fuel pressure issue? If your fuel pressure is low, the new regulator will likely fix the poor idle issue if that is what is happening.
Erratic idle speeds and rough running on port side motor. Had it in a shop a little while ago and was told fuel pressure was low and to try replacing the regulator.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

If fuel pressure is low, I bet the IAC is just fine. Chased same issue on my cool fuel MPI's. IAC did nothing, was all fuel pressure related. Issue solved when installed new regulators. Had hard start/wouldn't idle or would surge badly.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

The IAC is mounted to rear of throttle body. therefore just throttle body needs removing for this.

If this 502MPI is VST then regulator is on front of fuel rail. If cool fuel, the regulator is mounted don on the cool fuel module.

The upper intake gaskets and throttle body gaskets are still available:
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...31902/1614/180

Believe it or not,and not talked about much here,flepro offers these as a set and usually under $20:

Fel-Pro 17852 Upper Intake/Plenum Gasket Set

Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

11.99 @ Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-17852

Edit : Id throw all that cool fuel VST chit in the trash, nothing but problems...
Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Registered

Okay, swapped out the IAC (easy) and fuel pressure regulator (kind of a pain). Had to pull the intake plenum off to get to the pressure reg mount bolts. Actually in ind site, I may have been able to replace it without pulling the plenum if I had known that the bolts were 5/16 heads but would have been a bit tricky.

Anyway, one of the gaskets ripped but the other three were okay. Of course no one has them in stock and I'm headed to Desert Storm on Thursday morning so just going to use form a gasket for now. I'm thinking there isn't a lot of pressure on the gaskets so it should hold for the weekend.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

What is the new fuel psi ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.