Notices

496ho Questions

Old 06-30-2019, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 496ho Questions

I ve been doing a bit of work on my 2x 496ho (2008) with bravox 3s. So far a fan of them, even if access is compromised for a few things.

Couple of questions, as i am pretty isolated, having my injectors serviced is unlikely to be easy or cheap so i am keen to replace with some new ones. Does everyone use the standard oem ones or is there a better after market one? I ve looked for instructions to pull them off, does anyone know of a youtube video of someone doing it? it doesnt look too hard.

The other questions come from my recently changed raw water pumps. I changed them for the hardin ones. very nice kit. I do now register more pressure. question is what pressure should be on them? i measure the old pumps pulley and they are the same size. the starboard engine blew one of the blue taps off, and a bit of rubbish came out. now its running lower pressure then the port. I am getting mid 40s on the port and 40 on starboard now at WOT. Is this too high? i was only getting mid 20s before the change.

next question, the internal water circulation pressure. i bough a mobile vessel view and i have managed to find a closed circulation water pressure. one seems to be higher then the other, what should these run at. Neither engine is running hot, they are running the same temp and running well with no alarms.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:18 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a new plug and play injectors for the 496 - they offer a bit leaner at start up and idle and bit richer at WOT. exactly what the stock 496 needs. The real OEM injectors are getting very hard to find and are expensive.

Also injector service is dirt cheap and cost less that a full carb job. price range is 200 to 300 bucks depending how bad the fuel injectors are. I have brought 1000 s back to even flow better than new for balance flow volumes across the board.

You have the gen 3 cool fuel so your injectors will have paint in them and it is best to install the latest new gen 3 cool fuel. There is no way around the paint issues.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 AM
BUP
Banned

if your water pressure is in the 40 that is way to high. Possible your tool to monitor is not accurate ? What exactly did you buy ? a moble vessel view ? from whom and what brand .

I would NOT get your installs from youtube nor what is wrong or right for learning your app and installs.

Think about this - would you want the guy whom works on your 75 K new pick up truck get his education from youtube ? yikes

would nt a OEM service manual maybe a better option to learn something ?

Last edited by BUP; 07-01-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
if your water pressure is in the 40 that is way to high. Possible your tool to monitor is not accurate ? What exactly did you buy ? a moble vessel view ? from whom and what brand .

I would NOT get your installs from youtube nor what is wrong or right for learning your app and installs.

Think about this - would you want the guy whom works on your 75 K new pick up truck get his education from youtube ? yikes

would nt a OEM service manual maybe a better option to learn something ?
thanks BUP, the issue in New Zealand there isn’t many service options for these engines. They are in a few jet boats but virtually nothing else. To send current injectors to the US would be a couple hundred dollars return in shipping and that’s if I don’t need to pay for customs and duty. Keen on your injectors, also do you sell the cool fuel 3? There is also the fuel here, my local marina on sells 95 octane(Ron) which I think is about 91 in the US. So being a bit leaner would be useful

Yes you are probably right about the manual, I normally work on high performance european cars. The issue with the manual is they usually spec special tools and I like the visuals better.

The readings are from the mercury vessel view.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Backflush from the heat exchanger. Odds are you have debris either at your oil cooler or the heat exchanger. Pop the cap on the port side of the heat exchanger. You’ll like find debris there. Undue the “out” line from the Hardin while taking off the “in” to the exchanger. Backflush.

WOT you should see 20-25lbs. Seeing both garages went up incrementally with the new pumps my guess is debris and not garage failure
Old 07-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

MAWFun - Listen to what BUP (John) has told you. He knows the 496HO like nobody else in the industry. I have the same configuration in my Donzi with the Hardin pumps and I run about 25psi on both sides. Check your gauges as well - sometimes the lines can be broken or the gauge is malfunctioning. Thankfully the 496 is a sensor monster (good and bad) it will let you know if something is wrong and will likely setoff an alarm.

BUP - Wouldn't the alarm go off if he was indeed pushing 40psi on the sensor?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies, I will look into the heat exchanger, the old water pumps still had all there rubber impellers. It just surprises me that immediately after the install they increased to such a high pressure, at idle they are the same as they were. I just assume that the pumps were much more efficient.

I value BUP's input, i ve read a few of his threads. Just an unfortunate aspect of living in a remote country we need to do alot of the work ourselves as well as buying new parts rather then servicing them. I guessing the way forward is to buy a new cool fuel rather then scrub all the paint out. I read a thread on someone doing that.

BUP do you have a website i can buy the injectors?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Also check the oil cooler for debris blocking water flow.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 AM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by ShootinRopes35z
MAWFun - Listen to what BUP (John) has told you. He knows the 496HO like nobody else in the industry. I have the same configuration in my Donzi with the Hardin pumps and I run about 25psi on both sides. Check your gauges as well - sometimes the lines can be broken or the gauge is malfunctioning. Thankfully the 496 is a sensor monster (good and bad) it will let you know if something is wrong and will likely setoff an alarm.

BUP - Wouldn't the alarm go off if he was indeed pushing 40psi on the sensor?
Thanks for the good words. And Yes what a day it was getting the 496s running for that day in New York. Man I would have strangled that other shop whom worked on your boat before the trip to the big apple.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny32SSR
Backflush from the heat exchanger. Odds are you have debris either at your oil cooler or the heat exchanger. Pop the cap on the port side of the heat exchanger. You’ll like find debris there. Undue the “out” line from the Hardin while taking off the “in” to the exchanger. Backflush.

WOT you should see 20-25lbs. Seeing both garages went up incrementally with the new pumps my guess is debris and not garage failure
Originally Posted by mawfun
I ve been doing a bit of work on my 2x 496ho (2008) with bravox 3s. So far a fan of them, even if access is compromised for a few things.

Couple of questions, as i am pretty isolated, having my injectors serviced is unlikely to be easy or cheap so i am keen to replace with some new ones. Does everyone use the standard oem ones or is there a better after market one? I ve looked for instructions to pull them off, does anyone know of a youtube video of someone doing it? it doesnt look too hard.

The other questions come from my recently changed raw water pumps. I changed them for the hardin ones. very nice kit. I do now register more pressure. question is what pressure should be on them? i measure the old pumps pulley and they are the same size. the starboard engine blew one of the blue taps off, and a bit of rubbish came out. now its running lower pressure then the port. I am getting mid 40s on the port and 40 on starboard now at WOT. Is this too high? i was only getting mid 20s before the change.

next question, the internal water circulation pressure. i bough a mobile vessel view and i have managed to find a closed circulation water pressure. one seems to be higher then the other, what should these run at. Neither engine is running hot, they are running the same temp and running well with no alarms.
you could CLEAN THE INJECTORS without removing them. Fill the fuel water separator filter half full of techron concentrate. Top off with gas. Run motors for 5 mins. Works for me. Basic but this is helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.