Notices

2008 496 MAG HO issues

Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 496 MAG HO issues

While running across the water at about 3-4k rpms the engine rpm's will drop out to 1k +/- and sometimes die completely, I get a quick beep when this happens and then it will fire right back up. Engine idles great, has plenty of power, no hesitation or sluggishness. I've searched google for two days now and have checked everything I can think of including loose plugs, loose ground, battery voltage is 13.8 while running and batteries were new in april, all the spark plug wires are connected good, spark arrestor is free flowing and there is no indication of a problem at all until it just dies so this leads me to believe it is electrical and some type of sensor, I'm trying to avoid paying for the marina tech to hook up his computer as I fear its not happening long enough to actually throw a code.

Several google searches showed that the IAC is problematic on these and to check that, I ohm'd it out to 10.4 and the plug isn't melted so I assume that is not my problem.

I've seen a couple of people say the crankshaft sensor will cause the same issue and oddly enough I had a 2005 dodge ram that did the same thing once and it was crankshaft sensor so that is currently at the top of my list of suspects, however I thought I would ask here before just throwing parts at this.

Last edited by stretch79; 07-05-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check Ignition Switch wiring, as well as battery and grounds.

It it could be the Crank Sensor as well.

But I wouldn’t own one of these boats without the ability to scan for codes on my own. Rinda or DiaCom software is priceless IMHO. You could have some stored codes indicating Crank or other sensor faults.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check Ignition Switch wiring, as well as battery and grounds.

It it could be the Crank Sensor as well.

But I wouldn’t own one of these boats without the ability to scan for codes on my own. Rinda or DiaCom software is priceless IMHO. You could have some stored codes indicating Crank or other sensor faults.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Fuel filter?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

battery voltage is 13.8
If your meter is accurate, then you have a battery/alternator issue, should be 14+V. Corrosion can cause this, so check connectors, bat cables, everything connector for issues
Old 07-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Registered

Dealership sent a tech out with computer, no codes were stored so we went for a test drive and watched everything live on his laptop, nothing showed up. Hooked up fuel pressure gauge and right before the engine died fuel pressure would drop to 0. They are replacing the low and high pressure pump since the boat came with a 60 day warranty. Hope to have it back this week.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Something is telling me it lost power to the pump, if it does it again check the relay
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Registered

So they replaced the low and high pumps as well as the regulator. Brought the boat back to us and it ran great. Then saturday night it started doing the same thing again but more frequently. I checked the fuel filter and swapped the relay with another. Any more ideas?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Registered

I think you have a bad connection somewhere, and replacing the pumps just moved the wires around enough to make the connection worst. Get a 12V resistor type LED and connect it to pin 86 on the fuel pump relay and to ground. With key ON and fuel pump stops running the LED should be OFF, will be ON when pump is running. May flash if it keeps breaking connection.

There are several connections and splices where a break can happen. Pump, relay, fuse, splice, 111 and 108 inside the harness, and from main power main power relay
Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Registered

I think we finally fixed it. After multiple trips/visits from the dealerships tech and him not getting anywhere with it. Me and a friend continued to eliminate items. We changed the crank sensor, cam sensor and pulled the entire cool fuel 3 system apart looking for clogs from the loose paint (mine doesn't seem to have the paint issue though), we finally hard wired the fuel pumps directly to the battery to eliminate any chance of a bad wiring harness or ecu and it still lost fuel pressure. So for the 3rd time we pulled the pickup line out of the tank just to check it again. We found a 3/8" diameter ball of "crap" caught in the screen and blocking the fuel flow. Took it out after that and made several passes across the lake and ran perfect. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. Took us several weeks, two visits to the dealer, countless hours of diagnostics and 95 gallons of fuel burnt up testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.