methods to purge milky oil from engine

Notices

methods to purge milky oil from engine

Old 08-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default methods to purge milky oil from engine

My buddy's 2006 330 SS Formula with 6.2l SBCs had a cracked exhaust manifold on one engine. We are replacing everything in the exhaust with new parts. He only ran the boat at idle before it started running rough. I pulled all the plugs on the odd side of the engine and did a compression check to make sure it wasnt a blown head gasket. I got about 110 to 130 psi on the odd side of the engine. The engine has 400 hrs on it and the boat was a salt water boat from Florida now up in Michigan. I figured the compression is low because of any goopy oil stuck around the rings. Ill check the compression again after we fire up the motor and dry it out. I would have to estimate about a gallon of water got into the oil. I was able to suck out pretty much all of the milkshake oil. The engine was never run under load with the milky oil. I told him we would have to do maybe 3-4 oil changes or until the oil looks good again. What ways have other used to purge the remaining milkshake out before calling it good? I have heard of using kerosene, or Marvel Mystery oil mixed with the oil.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
My buddy's 2006 330 SS Formula with 6.2l SBCs had a cracked exhaust manifold on one engine. We are replacing everything in the exhaust with new parts. He only ran the boat at idle before it started running rough. I pulled all the plugs on the odd side of the engine and did a compression check to make sure it wasnt a blown head gasket. I got about 110 to 130 psi on the odd side of the engine. The engine has 400 hrs on it and the boat was a salt water boat from Florida now up in Michigan. I figured the compression is low because of any goopy oil stuck around the rings. Ill check the compression again after we fire up the motor and dry it out. I would have to estimate about a gallon of water got into the oil. I was able to suck out pretty much all of the milkshake oil. The engine was never run under load with the milky oil. I told him we would have to do maybe 3-4 oil changes or until the oil looks good again. What ways have other used to purge the remaining milkshake out before calling it good? I have heard of using kerosene, or Marvel Mystery oil mixed with the oil.
no
Sorry to say, but that compression is too low.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suck the water out, change oil with the cheapest stuff you can find. Repeat as many times as needed until condensation is no longer under the valve covers or on the oil fill cap.

I had a 3.0 merc in my houseboat do the same thing, its a tractor engine that will last forever, but I was able to save it by sucking the water out of the oil a few times with an extractor, then changing the oil 3 times.

Good luck. If that doesn't work, pull it and rebuild!
Old 08-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

A cup of diesel fuel mixed in the oil helps grab the water out of there.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Change it 3-4 times with cheap oil, then fill it with oil that doesn't have an emulsifier, start it and run it for a short period, then let it sit. the water and oil will separate, water on bottom. Change the oil again, put you normal oil in it and get it hot to evaporate the rest out.

compression is probably low because the oi milkshake makes it slow to turn over.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
A cup of diesel fuel mixed in the oil helps grab the water out of there.
This works well after the first oil is drained and you are adding cheap conventional oil.... I was going to suggest up to a 1/2 quart on a v8 in the first major flush and then use the straight oil until it comes out clean.... Do not use synthetic - not worth the money in the flush

All good info.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,..... I do it differently than the above posts,.....

I'll drain/ pump out all of the contamination I can, refill the oil, 'n then run it up to temp,.....

The tiny bit of water left in the oil system steams off in a few minutes,.....

No need to waste several gallons of motor oil,......
Old 08-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

and I do it different than all you guys,,I pull intake and valve covers,clean up the inch of sludge first,vac,heat gun,towels,suck what I can from the pan.then put all back together.fill w/ cheap oil and some diesel(~ quart) run till warm and then some w/ pcv system working if equipped or open fillers(allow water that remains to boil off).
change that oil,then repeat 1 more time.fill w/ synth. oil and take boat out for a moderate ride and motor oil under valve covers.
all the water doesn't steam off in minutes.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

well, as mentioned above, i would pull valve covers clean under there,,pull intake ??? could , not sure if i would
get out as much fluid , water , oil etc...as you can. Then , some chaep oil , run it up to temp., check ,,did it again...
may take a few times, did this years ago on sbc i put together a guy
old wood boat , was taking on water,,almost sunk,,,and evetually it did stink in north channel.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I remember one time I fill a motor with water. Flushed 3 or 4 times and realized it was not helping he bottom end knock so I took it apart and you would be surprised on how much water (white oil) was still in there. After you get it clean run it easy until … I don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.