Notices

Increased speed plan

Old 06-19-2020, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Increased speed plan

I’m interested in a plan to incrementally increase my boats performance. I recognize I could drop a bundle and quickly exceed any goal or ability I currently have, but for now I’d like to do this in steps increasing speed while my experience and abilities keep up. I have a 2007 Baja 26 Outlaw 496 HO. CMI headers were on it when I got it. Still double checking the prop, but currently running a labbed 24p Bravo one. Stock Bravo one outdrive, and no changes to ECM I’m aware of. I’ve checked the bottom and it’s straight. No hook. There may be a source out there, but what I’m interested in would be something like a list of mods with realistic speed gains. What type of increases would I expect out of mods like new shorter outdrive lower? Extension box? Any possible changes under the hatch before having to change engine internals? ECM changes? Of course, I’d want to start with the biggest bang (+MPH) for my buck. I’d also need to consider you can’t simply increase HP and forget that a stock Bravo one outdrives not going to cut it at some point. Lots to consider, but I know there are others out there who have taken this same approach. I also know that at some point, it will make sense to sell and step up, but for now I’ll progress with the boat I have. We really do love the boat, regardless of its limitations.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm no expert, but I will offer a few things. First, if you want to go faster, you're generally better off buying a boat that was designed to go faster rather than modifying what you have. Especially with a Baja, they are not known for speed. Also, the 496 is a great motor and bullet proof, when not modified, but it does not have the internals that support increased hp. You could put a blower on it, but risk, blowing up the motor. If you insist, I'd start with the prop, but it looks like you've already done that. ECM - Ok, but I would not expect much out of that. Drive height, lots of work with compromises along that way. The factory set it where it is for a reason.

If it were me with that package, I'd leave it alone and enjoy the reliability for a long time. Or, I'd sell it and buy something faster with a blue motor that can support modifications. Hope this helps.
The following 9 users liked this post by Apexwarrior:
Bondo (06-20-2020), Craney (06-20-2020), Griff (06-24-2020), ICDEDPPL (06-29-2020), oconnor marine (06-20-2020), PA.WOODCHUCK (06-22-2020), Ryan00TJ (06-20-2020), sonicss42 (06-20-2020), underpsi68 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I know this isnt the answer you want to hear but In my experience if you want a faster boat buy a faster boat... dont buy a slow boat and make it fast. There will be lots of trial and error involved and more money thrown in to it than it's worth, in the long run it will be cheaper!
The following 3 users liked this post by bigfarmer:
Apexwarrior (06-21-2020), Bondo (06-20-2020), Griff (06-24-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 503 Likes on 235 Posts

The 26 Outlaw takes a lot of power to get it faster.I can put you in touch with a friend who I sold a 2007 26 Outlaw to and he got the itch for speed. He's running a complete Imco scx drive with a -2 lower and 28 pitch 4 blade prop. It has a Gen 7 Dart 540 block which accepts the 496 components. I believe he's making right at 580hp and best speed is 76 mph on GPS.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Yea, a boat is definitely not like modding a car. It takes lots of HP and $$$$ to go faster. Myself I’d leave it alone. Great motor and drive setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alwhite00:
Griff (06-24-2020), oconnor marine (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

What’s your end goal? Just a little bit faster or a lot faster? Best bang for the buck would be to screw with props. You want great trim reaction for a Baja to go fast, needs as much hull out of the water as possible. More top speed would be a three blade but you’ll sacrifice planing and cruise. What’s your X-dimension now? Or from the bottom of the hull to the prop shaft centerline with the drive trimmed perfectly parallel with the hull. Having a hull like yours at these speeds isn’t worth having it blue printed if in fact it is straight on the bottom which it most likely is. It’s not cheap but here’s some basics to see worth while gains IMO

1. Full hydraulic steering - Mercury ITS is hydraulic with 7” extension box together, clean package, no extra holes in the hull for steering rams or hydraulic lines. The control on confidence hydraulic steering adds can’t be overstated.
2. Stronger drive. Fresh Bravo X at the minimum, depending on power. You could go with a sportmaster lower with an extension box
3. Merc 525efi. Sell 496 to recoup some cost. This should get you into the mid 70s with a good prop etc..
Stop here and you’d have a boat you’d get good money for (still not what you put into it) come selling time that a lot of potential buyers of that hull would drool over
3a. Build your own motor with your power and cost goals in mind.
3b. Supercharge the 496, keep boost low and keep fingers crossed.

We’ll stop here for now. The rabbit hole is deep and it’s a slippery slope
Old 06-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Modding boats is a bit different than cars. When your car doesn't start you ruin your day. When your boat doesn't start you ruin everyone's day. Modding inherently will have plenty of bad days.

I'd agree with everyone here, sell your boat, buy one as fast as you want.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (06-22-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 503 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
What’s your end goal? Just a little bit faster or a lot faster? Best bang for the buck would be to screw with props. You want great trim reaction for a Baja to go fast, needs as much hull out of the water as possible. More top speed would be a three blade but you’ll sacrifice planing and cruise. What’s your X-dimension now? Or from the bottom of the hull to the prop shaft centerline with the drive trimmed perfectly parallel with the hull. Having a hull like yours at these speeds isn’t worth having it blue printed if in fact it is straight on the bottom which it most likely is. It’s not cheap but here’s some basics to see worth while gains IMO

1. Full hydraulic steering - Mercury ITS is hydraulic with 7” extension box together, clean package, no extra holes in the hull for steering rams or hydraulic lines. The control on confidence hydraulic steering adds can’t be overstated.
2. Stronger drive. Fresh Bravo X at the minimum, depending on power. You could go with a sportmaster lower with an extension box
3. Merc 525efi. Sell 496 to recoup some cost. This should get you into the mid 70s with a good prop etc..
Stop here and you’d have a boat you’d get good money for (still not what you put into it) come selling time that a lot of potential buyers of that hull would drool over
3a. Build your own motor with your power and cost goals in mind.
3b. Supercharge the 496, keep boost low and keep fingers crossed.

We’ll stop here for now. The rabbit hole is deep and it’s a slippery slope
Use forged internals for sure if going the Supercharger route!! I agree with a replacement engine 500, 525, etc for ease of taking the old one out and dropping a new one in so everything works correctly and gaining some mph, as well as a nice blue motor under the hatch.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Messing with the 496 would be a mistake, and the original drive/engine combo is the best for that boat unless you’re will to go deep money to reinvent the boat. A lot of Outlaw owners have had great results with the Rev4 prop.

I’m not positive about the Outlaw but I’m pretty sure extension boxes and shorty drives don’t respond well on that hull. Search the Baja sub forum here and you’ll find tons of info on what works and what doesn’t.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

If you want to go ten mph faster, going to needapproximately 200 more hp. Go thru motor mod everything, add a supercharger and you'll be there. There is no "easy or cheap" mods that will give you much speed with a slow hull. I made my 272 baja run almost 100 mph, if I had it to do over, I would have moved to different hull sooner, Smitty
The following users liked this post:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.