Stock L29 rebuild question >

Stock L29 rebuild question

Notices

Stock L29 rebuild question

Old 10-25-2020, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Stock L29 rebuild question

I pulled the 98 L29 454 out of my Sea Ray cruiser to put a new transom assembly in and decided to rebuild the motor. I had the block cleaned, line bored, cam bearings replaced etc. The heads I just disassembled and had cleaned and the valves refaced. I'll lap them. I'm going to machine the heads for posilocks myself.
My question is about rotator eliminators. I'm running everything stock because it's just a cruiser, but I want to install eliminators. Can I just replace the rotators, set the spring height and call it a day? I can cut the spring pocket myself also. I don't have to put in new springs and locks or anything else do I?

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 AM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

To replace the rotators you just need to purchase the proper spring and retainer/locks set up. Most companies sell it as a "rotator eliminator kit".
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty275
To replace the rotators you just need to purchase the proper spring and retainer/locks set up. Most companies sell it as a "rotator eliminator kit".
Are we talking about the same thing? There are a million different spring combinations out there. When I did this for my 69 Camaro, I installed the springs Lunati recommended for the cam I was using. I then set the spring heights using the eliminators that I bought as a set. It wasn't a "kit."
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

The eliminators sold by comp are 0.300" which is about the same height as the stock rotators. They should drop right in place of the stock rotators, but you may need to clearance the inner hole a bit if you want a nice slip fit, I did recently.
If you want some cheap power you might want to clean up the bowl area in the intake port and clean up the exhaust slightly on those heads while they're apart, and if you're cutting the guides for seals already why not throw a cam and a set of dual springs in. That's just what I would do since I can't leave something alone though
The following users liked this post:
HawkX66 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LakeHuronPower
The eliminators sold by comp are 0.300" which is about the same height as the stock rotators. They should drop right in place of the stock rotators, but you may need to clearance the inner hole a bit if you want a nice slip fit, I did recently.
If you want some cheap power you might want to clean up the bowl area in the intake port and clean up the exhaust slightly on those heads while they're apart, and if you're cutting the guides for seals already why not throw a cam and a set of dual springs in. That's just what I would do since I can't leave something alone though
That's the reply I was expecting. Thanks. I usually can't leave well enough alone either (see pics of the last L29 I built). This time it's a boat and just a cruiser. For this, I want whatever mileage I can get and as long as it's not underpowered, I don't want to spend anything extra on the motor other than what it takes to rebuild it. I'll definitely be port matching at least. I'll have to buy two sets of eliminators. They always advertise them as being for exhaust, but the intake usually needs them too.

Last edited by HawkX66; 10-26-2020 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LakeHuronPower (10-27-2020)