Notices

Why no Turbo Chargers?

Old 11-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Agree, heat, heat, heat. As a ground up design build mercury racing was able to water jacket virtually everything hot. As a retrofit to a say 525 it would be so tough to contain the heat. Long term everything with a water jacket...rots. So just bolt on that whipple or procharger and go boating........
You guys have Tom Gentry spinning in his grave! Everything is water-jacketed, intercooled, even internal wastegates. Cool as any other engine in the engine compartment. The system I have was originally designed FOR Mercury to add an easy to power-adder package to Mercs stock 330 hp big block. Mercury and Gentry didn't make a deal. Production drives at the time couldn't reliably handle the modest gains from low boost. Gale Banks also was in the mix.

Gentry has numerous long-distance and offshore records in Turbocharged boats (which is ALL he did) Mercury's "design" is basically a bootleg off Gentry's stuff from 20+ years ago.

If you're trying to turbo with automotive stuff......you're going to have heat. Too dangerous in a boat! Marine turbos are perfect, but are expensive to do right.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by CDShack
You guys have Tom Gentry spinning in his grave! Everything is water-jacketed, intercooled, even internal wastegates. Cool as any other engine in the engine compartment. The system I have was originally designed FOR Mercury to add an easy to power-adder package to Mercs stock 330 hp big block. Mercury and Gentry didn't make a deal. Production drives at the time couldn't reliably handle the modest gains from low boost. Gale Banks also was in the mix.

Gentry has numerous long-distance and offshore records in Turbocharged boats (which is ALL he did) Mercury's "design" is basically a bootleg off Gentry's stuff from 20+ years ago.

If you're trying to turbo with automotive stuff......you're going to have heat. Too dangerous in a boat! Marine turbos are perfect, but are expensive to do right.
Step away from the ledge.

No one is stating that turbo charging can't work in a marine setup. The original question was:
So, why is everyone bolting huge HP sucking pumps to engines vs. using a turbo?
And the answer is, you can't just bolt a turbo into a boat and make it work like you can with a supercharger.
A supercharger does not in and of itself regenerate heat into the engine compartment.

Mercury has proven you can make turbo setups work in a boat WHEN YOU START FROM SCRATCH.
Factory Billet did so before Mercury.
Tom Gentry did so before all of them.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by CDShack

Fountain used that system on a few boat back in the day... it did add a LITTLE power, but wanst exactly a barn burner.. Modern fuel injection and engine management coupled with turbos is whats making the big advances.
The following users liked this post:
CDShack (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

The "quote" I was actually responding to was:
"Agree, heat, heat, heat. As a ground up design build mercury racing was able to water jacket virtually everything hot. As a retrofit to a say 525 it would be so tough to contain the heat. Long term everything with a water jacket...rots. So just bolt on that whipple or procharger and go boating........"

"step away from the ledge", comedy gold!

Rot, heat? It is an educational and warning post, not argumentative. Marine Turbos are a little harder to do right, granted, but heat and rot are absolutely not issues when doing them properly. MONEY is the issue and is the correct answer to the OP's original question, and honestly, probably not as much difference as you think. Good Blowers with chillers done right is an expensive proposition to achieve the same results. Merc wised up and went turbos on all their big number engines.

IF you're trying to scab a Ebay turbo kit together from auto parts to put into your enclosed engine compartment anyway, I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears.

I've always been a blower guy, it is comfortable for me, so I understand the inclination. On this restoration, I decided to venture to the dark side and expand my horizons. Marine turbos are as easy as anything else, just more expensive and a new way to look at things. But it's been fun! We'll see how it all works out! There are numerous sources (China) for jacketed turbo housing, but a good source for Gentry style is Carson Brummett. ($)