One-person winterize/antifreeze >

One-person winterize/antifreeze

Notices

One-person winterize/antifreeze

Old 12-12-2021, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default One-person winterize/antifreeze

Anybody know how fast (gallons per minute or some other standard) the Mercruiser standard impellers pull at idle?
I devised the (attached) bucket mechanism so that I could winterize my big blocks through the flusher installed in the engine bay. Full discloser, my wife helped with the set-up and with the bucket refill...but I COULD do it solo.
I preloaded the white Ace bucket with 3-4 gallons of antifreeze (in case the system sucked it fast) and then refilled (a total of six gallons) as the volume dropped. I warmed the engine on the garden hose until 150F (as I have 140F thermostats). I then opened the bucket valve and shut the water valve and sucked/gravity fed the antifreeze. Once the last gallon was in the bucket, I then fogged the carbs for 15-20 seconds (almost killing the engine) and then shut it all down.
I thought that the antifreeze would suck down fast but I was able to keep up (since I had the antifreeze bottles pre-staged with the caps off and the foil seals removed).
Old 12-12-2021, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Did you drain the water from the system of just immediately change from the garden hose supply to that from the 5 gallon bucket once up to temp?

I drain the Fresh water out of everything, then flush with the antifreeze. Any water trapped will dilute the antifreeze minimally, but not to the extent of purging water with antifreeze.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I run a crossover/no stat.. So I dont need to warm up the motor. I pull the hose from the transom assembly (muffs just leak antifreeze all over) and have a garden hose adapter I clamp into the to the pump. I drain the block, the coolers and the exhaust. I fill the container with 5 gallons of antifreeze and fire it up and let it dun un till I have antifreeze coming out the exhaust. As soon as it comes out the exhaust I fog it untill it dies. Takes about 5 gallons, I doesnt suck all that fast, but it does suck hard enough to start collapsing the westmarine winterizin jug even with the vent open.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Back when I lived & boated up north, I would drain the blocks & the exhaust manifolds. Pull the hoses off of the belt driven raw water pump & leave them off, (no closed cooling) & open the t stat housing. I'd then close the block drains, put the plugs back in the exhaust manifolds & fill the engine through the open t stat housing. I'd leave it like that all winter. Always worked like a charm.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

I used the same method the previous owner showed me up in NY (but he had inside winter storage...he did it just in case building heater failed). I run on garden hose until open thermostat and then I run 6 gallons of -50F antifreeze through. I know its not perfect (I could probably simplify it by not running a thermostat) but:
1) I'm in Pensacola, Florida
2) I run a dehumidifier/heat stick (Golden Rod) in the engine bay.
3) I back that up with a thermostatically controlled bilge heater.

Last edited by F14A water jet; 12-13-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

At idle you can keep up. Burp the throttle a couple times and it will suck that bucket dry.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:38 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

how cold does it get by you in FL? You would need a hard freeze for a good 24 hrs to maybe start damaging the block. Its the coolers and externals i'd worry about more. Ive got a friend at LOTO that only puts a 100W light bulb in the bilge over night when it gets cold...other then that he doesn't do anything besides making sure he has sta-bil in the fuel. And somehow his boat survives
Ive always ran the boat till its warm then i quickly pull the two engine drain plugs...when its empty i close those then run the bucket of 50/50 antifreeze into the engine(about 5gal) ....then just for my own peace of mind i pull the water lines off the exhaust and pour some more straight antifreeze in through there....(1gal each manifold/side)

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-13-2021, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I don’t have stats in my 454 MPIs. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a hose spigot installed at the bottom. I connect it to my bunny ears and cover the pick ups on my B3s. Fill it with antifreeze and run them up until the bucket is nearly dry. I dump in another gallon as it’s draining, just for good measure. The bucket is sitting up on my swim platform, so it is above the raw water pumps and engines.

Ive done this about a half a dozen times now. It doesn’t work on speedy lowers with front pick ups, unless you engineer something.

If you like running stats it’s an easy job to pop them out compared to dropping all of the water plugs.

Last edited by hogie roll; 12-13-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:00 AM
Registered

The -77 antifreeze is only $1-2 more per gallon. A no brainer imo. Boat is at LOTO FYI. Which doesn’t get extremely cold.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
Anybody know how fast (gallons per minute or some other standard) the Mercruiser standard impellers pull at idle?
I devised the (attached) bucket mechanism so that I could winterize my big blocks through the flusher installed in the engine bay. Full discloser, my wife helped with the set-up and with the bucket refill...but I COULD do it solo.
I preloaded the white Ace bucket with 3-4 gallons of antifreeze (in case the system sucked it fast) and then refilled (a total of six gallons) as the volume dropped. I warmed the engine on the garden hose until 150F (as I have 140F thermostats). I then opened the bucket valve and shut the water valve and sucked/gravity fed the antifreeze. Once the last gallon was in the bucket, I then fogged the carbs for 15-20 seconds (almost killing the engine) and then shut it all down.
I thought that the antifreeze would suck down fast but I was able to keep up (since I had the antifreeze bottles pre-staged with the caps off and the foil seals removed).
Id guesstimate my 5 gallon bucket is being pulled through in 30 seconds to a minute. At idle.
The following users liked this post:
bajaman (12-13-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.