Notices

540 BUILD Carb engine

Old 01-14-2022, 10:47 AM
  #21  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (7)
 
getrdunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Michigan
Posts: 7,140
Received 609 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by articfriends View Post
I can only imagine the money he had wrapped up in these, DART big ms, good rotatings, ati super dampners, daytona boxes, BUT too low of compression, too much cam, too big of heads, Im not real fond of Dart intakes either, Smitty
I've heard that more often than not regarding dart intakes. They have proven potential however must require some more skill than others. I think years ago when several started to drift away from stock boat engines dart snatched the market. Everybody had to have one. I think they do advertise port to match etc however much more than just a head match.
getrdunn is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 10:57 AM
  #22  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cheboygan, MI
Posts: 1,460
Received 244 Likes on 151 Posts
Default

Just watched an Engine Masters episode where they tested Dart, Profiler, Edelbrock and Brodix intakes on a 598 big block. They saw similar results with the Dart. The AFRís were all over. The Brodix had the turtle and made the most power with the best AFRís. Surprisingly it beat out the Profiler.
ThisIsLivin is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 11:10 AM
  #23  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (7)
 
getrdunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Michigan
Posts: 7,140
Received 609 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
Just watched an Engine Masters episode where they tested Dart, Profiler, Edelbrock and Brodix intakes on a 598 big block. They saw similar results with the Dart. The AFRís were all over. The Brodix had the turtle and made the most power with the best AFRís. Surprisingly it beat out the Profiler.

Iíve got the Brodix and Pofiler. Was going to sell the Brodix as I replaced with the profilers. Iíll have equal amount of work to each and will dyno each back to back on my 565s. For my particular get up Valako was pretty adamant about the csa being to small with the Brodix. If power is close across the board Iíll settle for the best afrís.
getrdunn is offline  
Old 01-15-2022, 12:06 PM
  #24  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (1)
 
articfriends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Frankenmuth
Posts: 6,634
Received 228 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by getrdunn View Post
I've heard that more often than not regarding dart intakes. They have proven potential however must require some more skill than others. I think years ago when several started to drift away from stock boat engines dart snatched the market. Everybody had to have one. I think they do advertise port to match etc however much more than just a head match.
I'm also friends with your head porter, Jimmy V and I consulted on him with these customers dart intakes, he didn't have any great solutions other than what I tried, Surprisingly, I had some very nicely contoured, cncd spacers made by a good friend in Ohio that fit the unusual shape of the Dart intake plenum opening, they did NOT make as much hp as the "normal" ones and didnt helps afrs at all, but thats WHY we dyno. I have yet to find the ideal open plenum intake for a given application. Mainly what I see is TERRIBLE afrs cyl to cyl and lack of tq on small engines like 502s, 454s. When I dyno lets say a 454 and it makes 560 peak tq, 560 hp and has huge tq curve then dyno a peaky one that makes 580 hp 200 rpms higher but 30 to 70 less ft lbs of tq in 80% of power band, id take the one with more average power everywhere. Pleasure boaters who cruise, drive loaded down, etc get best results from motors that arent peaky with broad tq bands. Guys trying to break a big speed number are willing to run light on fuel, spend 10k on various props for every condition, tell their passengers to stay HOME, etc
articfriends is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
JaniH (01-15-2022), smokediver (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:19 PM
  #25  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (1)
 
articfriends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Frankenmuth
Posts: 6,634
Received 228 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by getrdunn View Post
Iíve got the Brodix and Pofiler. Was going to sell the Brodix as I replaced with the profilers. Iíll have equal amount of work to each and will dyno each back to back on my 565s. For my particular get up Valako was pretty adamant about the csa being to small with the Brodix. If power is close across the board Iíll settle for the best afrís.
Id dyno them all BUT knowing what I know about your heads, large ports, high flow numbers Id hate to see you KILL all the gains by restricting it with a intake thats too small. BUT the dyno will tell real story, sometimes results are opposite of what we expect. This is HYPOTHETITCAL for sake of discussion, lets say you got this 450, 480 cfm port flow, ports pretty damn big to get that number, no way around it. On dyno motors lazy and doesnt perk up till top of your power band (IM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN but, your in prostock head flow territory), you bolt a intake thats Restrictive on, it makes your combination actually work better overall for some reason, ie, creates a restriction thats needed, something. Would be NICE to have those parts on hand to try, Id bring every possible intake you can to dyno and test them all. Maybe one that is ported close to your heads works best, you wont know till you dyno, Smitty
articfriends is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
JaniH (01-15-2022), KWright (01-15-2022)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.