Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
454 initial timing questons >

454 initial timing questons

Notices

454 initial timing questons

Old 02-23-2022, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

So it ran ok at first but started getting hot, and on shut down, dieseled and popped back through the intake. Then it wouldn’t idle down. I still got money on gasket blown out especially with mix matched ports. Is it leaking vac into the crank case?
Old 02-23-2022, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

so as I understand it this has a rectangle port intake and peanut port heads which is way different from each other so when it idles for a while there is probably a pint of fuel sitting at the port of the head. also is this still the net zero lash rockers? if so and the head and block have been cut was that factored in or are the lifters now bottomed out? sorry but this motor seems to be very mismatched in parts for it to perform properly in a cruiser.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CPFITNESS
Yes, it worked fine for 4 hours then motor blew up due to old water damage in one of the cylinders
for the record, they all run fine till they don't. so don't assume anything based on what it used to do.
The following 5 users liked this post by compedgemarine:
articfriends (02-23-2022), CPFITNESS (02-23-2022), Gimme Fuel (02-24-2022), GLENAMY 242SS (02-23-2022), SB (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
so as I understand it this has a rectangle port intake and peanut port heads which is way different from each other so when it idles for a while there is probably a pint of fuel sitting at the port of the head. also is this still the net zero lash rockers? if so and the head and block have been cut was that factored in or are the lifters now bottomed out? sorry but this motor seems to be very mismatched in parts for it to perform properly in a cruiser.
this motor was designed specifically for cruisers.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by liberator221
So it ran ok at first but started getting hot, and on shut down, dieseled and popped back through the intake. Then it wouldn’t idle down. I still got money on gasket blown out especially with mix matched ports. Is it leaking vac into the crank case?
Busy couple days but we haven't seen much indication of vaccum leak when running motor and spraying carb cleaner all around.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
My understanding IF im reading the information posted correctly: motor was overheated then repaired again
18 cc domed 4.280 bore pistons
113 cc peanut ports, IF motor was overheated they had to have been milled/surfaced at least once
block, again, if bored, rebuilt and overheated at one time deck clearance went closer to zero from its original .022-.028 in hole
I ran thru compression calculator, over 10-1 with iron heads, with a small cam thats design is to build torque by spiking cylinder pressure
we run over 10-1 on aluminum headed motors with 20, 30 dgrees more cam duration , strictly on premium
no knock sensor so no way to hear /tell if its knocking
only way it will live is jetted fat to mask the detonation with good premium
buy a 02 bung, put it in a riser, see what you cruisng afrs are and wot, id jet the hard cruising into mid 12's and the wot in mid to maybe upper 11s with that compression with iron heads
You are close but not quite. The motor didn't overheat when it blew up first time. It just lost compression in one hole and upon tear down we determined it was from rust in that cylinder meaning it had taken in water and sat for quite awhile because there was a serious amount of rust "this didn't happen overnight" were the words of the engine rebuilders.
Big blocks are built like this all the time, I'm not sure why so many think it's some radical build???
Old 02-23-2022, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I somehow missed/forgot his compression info. Thanks for bringing it up.

10:1 or more in a cruiser no less. Anazing how many times people do this. People are forgetting (or not learning) about old school engines faster then ever it seems.
You act as if the motor can see what kind of boat it's in. Why does it matter if it's a cruiser or a race boat. Air, fuel, spark still applies.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

You act as if the motor can see what kind of boat it's in. Why does it matter if it's a cruiser or a race boat. Air, fuel, spark still applies.
Funny you should say this.
Air- you have a vacuum leak and mismatched head port styles. Fuel = yours is old and low Octane. Spark = -10 degrees
Engines do not know what type of boat/vehicle it is going to be installed into, BUT, they do know what operating parameters/they perform well/reliably in.
The boat dictated the type of build the engine requires. That is why they make so many cam variations, head runner length, intake manifold designs, carb variations, exhaust manifold styles, etc. etc. etc.
Not being sarcastic just trying to get you to take a objective view of the situation. Some of the most knowledgeable engine builders on the forum are trying to help you.
My suggestion is find a new mechanic so far seems like yours is not making good decisions on your behalf.
Just my .02
Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 07:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I thought of those issues as well, but the intake is OEM on both the 7.4 and 454mag for several years.
Also, the rocker shoulder bolts are the same part number for the both the 7.4 and 454mag.

My thought was the valves were possibly too tight and not fully closing, which could still be the case.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:40 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

this motor was designed specifically for cruisers.
No, it was not. Same engine went in all kinds of boats. The Bravo3 part is for heavier boats.

Heavier boats will place more load on the engine and cause detonation more easily.
The following 3 users liked this post by Griff:
articfriends (02-23-2022), Gimme Fuel (02-24-2022), sutphen 30 (02-23-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.