Notices

Onboard battery charger

Old 02-23-2022, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Onboard battery charger

I plan on installing shore power with an A/C panel with 5 circuits w/breakers. Can I cut the AC plug off of a pro-mariner 2 bank charger and connect it directly to one of the circuits from my A/C panel?
Old 02-23-2022, 07:09 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Im sure you can...ive never seen anything specifically posted anywhere about NOT doing that.....i guess the bigger question is would it be right? My only concern would be that most power cords are all black, so if a tech sometime in the future is diagnosing something electrical and not knowing what the cord is and goes to probe it may get zapped. Marine AC wiring that ive seen is a 3wire set of black/white/green stranded wires in a white sleeve.....so you know if you are familiar with electrical work that it would be AC power your dealing with. (of course anyone can use any kind of wire for hacking things together too)
The chargers i've seen on boats all had it wired all the way from the AC panel to the charger with that white covered AC cable and hard wired at the charger....
I would say get a gray flex sleeve you would run AC power wires though and fish the charger cable through that just so its different from the rest of the wiring in the boat and would raise a red flag for someone to investigate what it is....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-23-2022, 07:11 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

something like this maybe:
conduit

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-24-2022, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

If you dont already have a charger get this.
.https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/pr...BoCOOcQAvD_BwE

and this..

Amazon Amazon

Not saying you need a 100 ft or if you need 10g but that is the type wire. The battery charger has no power wire with it.

Chris
Old 03-21-2022, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
I plan on installing shore power with an A/C panel with 5 circuits w/breakers. Can I cut the AC plug off of a pro-mariner 2 bank charger and connect it directly to one of the circuits from my A/C panel?
That's what I did on my boat, works great. I plug the boat in when I pull it in the garage and the Pro Marine keeps the batteries in top shape. Plus I now have 120VAC when I'm at the marina and batteries don't drain when I have the lights on or stereo going.
The following users liked this post:
Eddienel (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Any electrical supply house will have SOOW cord. You just need to figure up how many amps you are wanting and get the gauge wire needed for that amperage. 30 or 50 amp.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
That's how my AT is wired. White marine romex runs from the AC breaker panel w/ a "Charger" breaker to my Pro-Mariner 2 bank. The cord is just cut and spliced into the romex. My charger currently has bit the dust and not working so I am replacing it. Looking into the charger/inverter style. Installed a Xantrex 3000 with 4 Trojan 1275 golf cart batteries on a friends cruiser a couple years ago and that works really slick.