Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Distributer advance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/375872-distributer-advance.html)

Zole 05-28-2022 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood (Post 4833750)
That probably allows for tweaking the vacuum system but you really need to remove the cap and rotor and look at the advance mechanism in the base of the distributor. You will see a system of levers, pivot points, and springs, typically. That's the mechanism that needs to be locked in place to prevent advancing of timing, then the base timing is set with a timing light and you're done. You'll need a timing tape for the appropriate size of harmonic balancer on the engine, unless the balancer already has adequate markings.

ok now we are getting somwere...:drink:...i don't have markings on my crank pully...i searched evrywere but i found only tapes no mesurments..if you can tell me what is the distance from 0 marking on the crank pully to the 10dgr advance and so on i could make new markings then test my distributer.I allways thout that i need max advance when uder load(gues i was wrong)

SB 05-28-2022 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Zole (Post 4833753)
if you can tell me what is the distance from 0 marking on the crank pully to the 10dgr advance and so on i could make new markings then test my distributer.I allways thout that i need max advance when uder load(gues i was wrong)

Use math :)
A complete circle is 360*
Measure circumference of your dampner and wallah. You have the info needed . :)

efit in: few good write ups and videos on it out on the internet. Google search.

DrFeelgood 05-28-2022 08:28 AM

Yes, under load is when you need advance. Ideally you would remove that distributor and replace it with an electronic distributor so that you can have low initial (base) timing and increase it electronically as the rpm increases.

You need to find the diameter of the balancer, find the mark on the balancer for Top Dead Center on Cylinder 1, make sure that when the timing pointer is on that mark, the distributor rotor is pointing towards cylinder 1 on the cap. You also need to make sure that the timing mark on the balancer is correct, that it's actually indicating true top dead center on cylinder 1 (both valves are closed, piston at top of stroke). Once all that is verified, you can order a timing tape which sticks on to the balancer, starting at the existing mark. As SB said, you can make your own approximate markings knowing that 360 degrees are on the balancer. Every 1/4 of the balancer is 90 degrees. And so on.

Zole 05-28-2022 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4833756)
Use math :)
A complete circle is 360*
Measure circumference of your dampner and wallah. You have the info needed . :)

nice to here from you again.:evilb:now i have to google(circumference) then i'll know what you sead.thank's

Zole 05-28-2022 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zole (Post 4833758)
nice to here from you again.:evilb:now i have to google(circumference) then i'll know what you sead.thank's

got it...diametar of my pully times 3.14=360° divide that with 36 i'll get 10° advance...am i right?

DrFeelgood 05-28-2022 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zole (Post 4833760)
got it...diametar of my pully times 3.14=360° divide that with 36 i'll get 10° advance...am i right?

Yep. Should be correct.

Zole 05-28-2022 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood (Post 4833757)
Yes, under load is when you need advance. Ideally you would remove that distributor and replace it with an electronic distributor so that you can have low initial (base) timing and increase it electronically as the rpm increases.

You need to find the diameter of the balancer, find the mark on the balancer for Top Dead Center on Cylinder 1, make sure that when the timing pointer is on that mark, the distributor rotor is pointing towards cylinder 1 on the cap. You also need to make sure that the timing mark on the balancer is correct, that it's actually indicating true top dead center on cylinder 1 (both valves are closed, piston at top of stroke). Once all that is verified, you can order a timing tape which sticks on to the balancer, starting at the existing mark. As SB said, you can make your own approximate markings knowing that 360 degrees are on the balancer. Every 1/4 of the balancer is 90 degrees. And so on.

You guys are great...i'll have to tell my wife she was wrong...she told nobody will help me:)

SB 05-28-2022 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Zole (Post 4833762)
You guys are great...i'll have to tell my wife she was wrong...she told nobody will help me:)

Main stream news and most USA television/movies is not a good way to know about the average American. :thumbs :wink

SB 05-28-2022 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zole (Post 4833762)

Oh. Don’t tell her she’s wrong. Just say you disagree with a nice soft tone and comment on how nice her new shoes look. :lolhit:

I’m full of good advice today. :bunnydance:

DrFeelgood 05-28-2022 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4833764)
Oh. Don’t tell her she’s wrong. Just say you disagree with a nice soft tone and comment on how nice her new shoes look. :lolhit:

I’m full of good advice today. :bunnydance:

"Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?"