Notices

Distributer advance

Old 05-27-2022, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Distributer advance

Can som of you guys explane to me how my advance on my distributer is going to work on a engine with boost...where to hook it up(manifold?)...thank's everybody
Old 05-28-2022, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I don't think you want to be using a vacuum advance distributor in a marine engine that is always under load. Either locked-in timing or timing advance controlled by a module or ECM would be appropriate, and that requires no hook up to the manifold or other vacuum/boost source.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 05:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
I don't think you want to be using a vacuum advance distributor in a marine engine that is always under load. Either locked-in timing or timing advance controlled by a module or ECM would be appropriate, and that requires no hook up to the manifold or other vacuum/boost source.
so leav it naturaly aspirated set it araund 30 degrees at 3000 rpm...am i right?
Old 05-28-2022, 05:11 AM
Registered

Does the distributor have a vacuum advance port on it?

I can't really answer what your total timing should be, someone smarter than me would need to make that recommendation based on the rest of your setup. Ideally it would be based on dyno tuning.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:22 AM
Registered

Does the distributor have a vacuum advance port on it?

I can't really answer what your total timing should be, someone smarter than me would need to make that recommendation based on the rest of your setup. Ideally it would be based on dyno tuning.

This is my distributer...SB from this site told me it is a car distributer..

Old 05-28-2022, 06:31 AM
Registered

Looks like PCE speedmaster distributor. I don't think it's intended or rated for marine usage.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:35 AM
Registered

Looks like PCE speedmaster distributor. I don't think it's intended or rated for marine usage.
can my engine work with that??
Old 05-28-2022, 06:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zole
can my engine work with that??
Well, it can run, but you'd have to lock the advance mechanism in place, so that you've got your maximum advance always in. So let's say for example it's 30 degrees advance that runs best at higher rpm, you'd need to run 30 degrees at idle and startup as well. Can be a lot of load on the starter and flywheel. And then there's the issue of the distributor not being safe in a marine environment, in other words, not designed to prevent ignition of flammable vapors in the bilge.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:27 AM
Registered

Well, it can run, but you'd have to lock the advance mechanism in place, so that you've got your maximum advance always in. So let's say for example it's 30 degrees advance that runs best at higher rpm, you'd need to run 30 degrees at idle and startup as well. Can be a lot of load on the starter and flywheel. And then there's the issue of the distributor not being safe in a marine environment, in other words, not designed to prevent ignition of flammable vapors in the bilge.
ok i understand....i figurd aut that inside of the vacum valve there is a litle screw...can i do anything vith that...can i put it let's say at 3000 rpm 30 dgs then lover it back to idle and see what is the diffrence and regulate it by that screw.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:46 AM
Registered

That probably allows for tweaking the vacuum system but you really need to remove the cap and rotor and look at the advance mechanism in the base of the distributor. You will see a system of levers, pivot points, and springs, typically. That's the mechanism that needs to be locked in place to prevent advancing of timing, then the base timing is set with a timing light and you're done. You'll need a timing tape for the appropriate size of harmonic balancer on the engine, unless the balancer already has adequate markings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.