Notices

K-Plane info

Old 06-01-2022, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-Plane info

Hello all, not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this but, here goes, the k-planes on my Formula 357 functions just fine but is pretty gnarly looking, outside of replacing is it possible to remove this clean it up, replace hardware and basically refurbish it? I have found some replacement hoses but not a full rebuild kit. Is there anything to be particularly aware of if I remove? (IE) are there gaskets behind mounting plates that can be replaced? Thanks to all.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's possible, but not a small project. The mounting plates unbolt from inside the bilge. You'll need a miracle to pull them off clean or work a flexible cutting line, i.e. heavy fishing line, maybe braided would help, to cut through the mounting adhesive. It's likely 3M 4200 and usually a PITA to remove. Sometimes pieces of the gelcoat may come off with it. Once off, you can sandblast and re-powdercoat the pieces. Check Bam Marine for replacement hardware & hoses. https://www.mercruiserparts.com/trim...nd-component-1

Old 06-01-2022, 08:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I had figured it was nothing simple but since Its just an appearance issue I will pass until off season. Does anyone apply sealant to the outside edge of the mount to transom? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:07 PM
Registered

After some work, K planes dont look to be salvageable, one ram is leaking, bottom plates are broke off where pins go through, absolute mess. Replacing or rebuilding with parts is almost as expensive as replacing and a lot less work. Looking at Hardin Marine, West coast marine , and marine industries west
Old 07-09-2022, 04:48 AM
Registered

Anyone try and replace these on an 89 Formula 357 with the motors in?
Old 07-11-2022, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you need just bottom plates, I've a set in prime condition that I need to unload. LMK.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Holy Smokes
If you need just bottom plates, I've a set in prime condition that I need to unload. LMK.

I appreciate it but, the transom plates were what was broke, I ended up buying new, Removal was actually a lot easier than anticipated started with a multi tool around the edges and finished with windshield removal tool. Hardest part was getting to the mounting bolts with motors in.