Notices

5.7 exhaust questions

Old 08-02-2022, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 5.7 exhaust questions

Greetings.
I have a 1987 twin 5.7 alpha one gen 1 boat with 6" spacers installed between the manifolds and risers to create an open exhaust. The boat had Y pipes removed by previous owner who also made the conversions. I am trying to convert back to original ( too loud for my neighbourhood, even with slip-in silencers ) but I wouldnīt want to remove the spacers for possibly installing a captains call system in the future. So my question is, if I install the exhaust elbows, the lower oval end will be 6" higher than the original rubber boot. I havenīt found an extended lower boot to use also. I found longer version of the exhaust elbows but they are a quite expensive (700 compared to 200 for the original size), and since they are supposed to accommodate to 3-6" inch riser spacers it still leaves the lower rubber boot height question unanswered. Are some different lenght rubber lower boots available or has someone used just a hose? The original boots are also angled a bit so if a hose is used it has to bend a little. And it has to be oval or bend into oval. Anyway, has anyone encountered and solved an issue similar to mine?

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-03-2022, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 498 Likes on 273 Posts

You could use a piece of stainless tubing and an extra boot or longer high temp silicone hose, but I doubt the long silicone hose would be Coast Guard approved.
If you are looking for Y pipes, I have one new never used for $100CDN plus shipping.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Just a hose!!!!!
Old 08-04-2022, 12:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Have you thought about getting exhaust turn downs??
The following users liked this post:
JaniH (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 04:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, thanks all for replying. I will try to use just a hose!. We have no coast guard problems here because boats do not have a technical inspection.
Regarding turn downs, I would like them very much, but my existing tips are over the swim platform, and this would mean some strange visible piping.

Best regards,
Griff (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

You could try this
https://imcomarine.com/cal_store/ova...tachments.html
Ville123 (08-05-2022)