Notices

Valves

Old 02-28-2023, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Valves

Getting ready to put a set of aluminum heads together. I've always believed in using a Heavy Duty intake and Severe Duty exhaust for marine use. But is it really necessary in a naturally aspirated application? Would a standard race valve be sufficient. End goal is 600hp BBC.
Opinions please.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

IMO, YES.

Inconel exhaust valves, when do you need them?
Old 03-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Good valves aren’t that expensive and cheap valves aren’t that cheap. Go for some good stuff and don’t skip the inconel exhaust.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:31 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Not the place to save a few bucks in a marine engine build.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm right there with all of you. Just wondering if technology had gotten good enough of the race series of valves. Did get a rare chance to talk to an old acquaintance that builds offshore power for a living in Virginia. He said they use Manley Severe Duty in everything naturally aspirated. If it's got a blower they go to inconel for the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty275
I'm right there with all of you. Just wondering if technology had gotten good enough of the race series of valves. Did get a rare chance to talk to an old acquaintance that builds offshore power for a living in Virginia. He said they use Manley Severe Duty in everything naturally aspirated. If it's got a blower they go to inconel for the exhaust.
Its always been a question. I have personally never had a valve failure BUT I use better inconel exh valves in everything. Im currently building a pair of 502 mpis with factory heads, same question, the factory uses Eaton Inconel exhaust valves BUT they are 2 piece , a hp500 and 500 efi with same heads uses manley inconel exh valves, more spring pressure, more rpms, more lift. Could I have reused the eatons, probably BUT I never have reused them with more spring, lift, rpms as a failure will make me go far backwards on a build when custpomers mad AF at me ! so as much as Id like to, would cost $$$ big if a head comes off. Smitty
The following users liked this post:
larose481 (03-06-2023)