Notices

Cover girl cabin

Old 03-02-2023, 07:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Cover girl cabin

I've been thinking of ways to lighten up the front of my nose heavy 28 nordic heat and the thought of converting it to a cover girl style cabin crossed my mind. It currently has a 12" sub and 2 6.5" in a bulkhead all the way forward, a bed pad, 2 wood beauty panels up by the headliner, and all of the wood structure under the bed pad. If I keep it, the bed will need to all be redone as it's original but I came to the realization that I will never sleep on this boat so it's really just wasted space/weight in the front. My thought is to remove the stereo components and the bulkead, remove the bed and support structure, and have a cover made to snap over the opening that goes into the bed area very similar to a cig cover girl cabin. It won't be a terrible amount of work and I'm just kinda looking for opinions if it will be worth it and if losing around 150-200 lbs in the bow will actually make a difference?

Thoughts? Thanks guys
Old 03-02-2023, 07:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This is basically what it looks like...this was during the rebuild so obviously it's not finished in these pics but my thought was a cover with the nordic logo at the big bulkhead where the opening is and remove basically everything forward of that.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 294 Posts

I think it is a good idea. 200lbs that far forward will make a difference. I redid the cabin in my topgun we cut out the liner and made it from scratch making it a cover girl style makes the bed area a lot larger and better storage up front. There’s always room to improve !!!
Old 03-02-2023, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 242 Posts

Just don't upset the balance of the boat, you will be sorry. If you have big power it becomes even more critical.
The following users liked this post:
resurrected (03-13-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

The trick is how to remove weight while retaining structural integrity? Remove the bed platform and see what you have to remove and/or add where it was to make sure it's still strong up there.

I'm running a MCOB heat so I feel your pain on carrying the nose. That's why the right 5 blade prop works great on a heat.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I do have pretty decent "big power" 1000 hp blown 540...I also have a 5 blade that I have not run on the boat yet...with a 4 blade bravo once at the end of the year when I was low on fuel it finally crawled up on the pad and you could feel it was very heavy in the nose. Just didn't have enough to actually carry the bow it wanted to keep dipping back down. Maybe I should try the 5 blade first before I go ripping stuff out? From what I've seen unless this 5 blade has way more bite than I expect I still see it having trouble carrying the bow enough to stay up on the pad. Seemed like there was a tipping point under the helm and it like see sawed at that point which is what got me thinking about bow weight reduction...
Old 03-03-2023, 09:14 AM
Registered

When Teague tested a Max 5 on a high HP Heat it gained 7mph over a bravo one prop. I gained several MPH in mine going to a 5 blade. I also run a 1" spacer on my XR as the drives were mounted a little too high on the stepped hull heats. Now I can run with the trim tabs up and the drive around neutral and it carries the bow.

What 5 blade do you have? At the moment I have a 28P and 30P Cutting Edge prop that I run.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I've got a P5-X hydromotive 28...I know this is/was the prop of choice on the stepped heats however mine is a straight bottom....I'm running a -2 lower which solved the porpoise while cruising issues just still a little concerned about it carrying the bow like it should...I'm hoping I have enough ponies to spin the 5 blade and carry this pig lol
87MirageIntruder (03-07-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
When Teague tested a Max 5 on a high HP Heat it gained 7mph over a bravo one prop. I gained several MPH in mine going to a 5 blade. I also run a 1" spacer on my XR as the drives were mounted a little too high on the stepped hull heats. Now I can run with the trim tabs up and the drive around neutral and it carries the bow.

What 5 blade do you have? At the moment I have a 28P and 30P Cutting Edge prop that I run.
Sorry to side track this thread, how do you like the Cutting Edge 5 blade?
BBYSTWY (03-13-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:56 AM
Registered

I'm impressed with the cutting edge 5 blades. My first 5 blade was a max 5 (which are well over $2k) and it worked great. When I increased power and needed a new prop I couldn't stomach another big $ prop so I tried the cutting edge as it looked similar. It works great as well. Auggie made it to the diameter I wanted and also trimmed a little off the barrel as I was wanting a lot of bow lift. His price for what you get is a real value, like 1/3 the cost of a max 5.

I've also sent a 4 blade bravo down to him for labbing and it too worked well afterwards, and the price was very good.

This is a picture of the 30p cutting edge at 15.25"

Last edited by 87MirageIntruder; 03-14-2023 at 09:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.