Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

Is Shamrock still making boats?
Old 06-08-2023, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
Is Shamrock still making boats?
I think so. If they are, it's not the same ownership, company changed hands in the 90s, I think. The current website looks like they're making boats, but I dunno.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
I am a working slob - not some trust fund kid - and have always tried to keep boating in my life by doing things myself. I am not a mechanic or electrician by trade but for the last 30 years I have always managed to keep a boat running and usable for family fun, scuba diving, and just trolling around South Florida waters.

Recently after an A/C hose broke and old 454s got wet I decided to repower my 1988 40-footer with arneson drives. She is old school, cosmetically about a C+, but good hull and normally floats. Perfect for overnights and cruising the Keys.

Post Covid I am finding some challenges:
1) Marinas are closing to become condos and those staying open are geared for rich dudes who dint mind paying $8k to get their props painted (WTF)
2) Do it yourself marinas are extremely rare and require $200k of insurance and "proof" you will not abandon your boat
3) ALL rates have quadrupled since pre-Covid. Got a quote for a bottom paint (2 coats and some light scraping) $4,200 or more than $100/foot (Wow)
4) Mechanics willing to work on older boats with inboards are charging $200/hour and you wait weeks for em to get started if they ever show up. I had one younger guy show up and he had never seen a counter-rotating motor before - ???

Sorry to ramble but things have changed significantly in S Florida and I now understand why everyone is going outboards. At least those can be pulled and worked on elsewhere but at $50k a piece - the convenience is at a cost I cant swing. Do it yourself boating is dead.

Might be my last repower then the old Kayak will have to enough

;-)
New 300 Suzukis are 27k ea. you’d probably need 3 though.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

It’s challenging for sure. I live in Hawaii. I have a ‘72 SeaCraft Seafari 25’ in the backyard. Painted it myself. Did all the glass work. Built a LS for the sterndrive. Am rebuilding the b3, did all electrical myself. Local yards, marinas, workshops were outrageous. Costs are up. I see only 2 options truly do it all yourself (that’s rough on time when we work 50+ hrs) or bring our expectations way down. I’m not ever selling this boat and making more money is a challenging prospect without giving up a career you love or losing yet more time that’s needed for repair work.

I just make a list of projects, set aside some money each month and knock it out as I can. Good luck and don’t give up the passion but adjustments need to be made sometimes.
The following 3 users liked this post by Xcomunic8d:
1983ScarabIII (06-10-2023), DrFeelgood (06-09-2023), madflavors26 (06-12-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I just do side jobs on others junk to fund my hole in the water. Buy used parts low when I stumble across them and resell for a profit. Things like that. Plus I make as much of what I need as can. I live in an area that pays below the national average. Even with a below average cost of living, the after expenditure monies is less than it would be for most. I just figure a way to make it work. Fortunately I'm a patient old soul.
The following users liked this post:
SB (06-11-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

So motor #2 is in the boat. With work interruptions (she sat for week without work as I was out of town on business) and forklift guys who don work on Mondays, Friday or after 3 if it rains (which is every day in FL this time of year) it has been an absolute test of patience.

Thus far for this repower job to work we had to upgrade all motor mounts, drive shafts needed to be refurbished which was $3k - they were toast so basically replaced with all new - trans mounts didnt work either so had to replace them. Mechanic time during all this trial and error has been almost $4k and the yard fees keeping adding up. What a sh!tshow. At this point I go to the boat every night until dark after work and do everything I can myself....hope to see her float and run next week.
The following 3 users liked this post by Swamplizard:
Padraig (06-23-2023), tommymonza (08-01-2023), Xcomunic8d (06-23-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 09:54 AM
Registered

Well she is running, got home and everything under water has been completed but some engine room work is still needed. The trim motors for the arneson drives and trim tabs got wet so I will need to pull them, clean em out, and fix whatever needs fixing. Also need to tweak the engine/drive shaft alignments and add mufflers. This thing is SO loud now it is almost unusable without ear protection LOL.

Once we get her mechanically stable (the 496 EFIs are very smooth and idle great) but shifter cables need adjusting, throttles cables are not right, some gauges are not working ... we can then focus on cosmetics and soft spots in the cockpit floor.

Cautiously optimistic.

Griff (07-08-2023), hogie roll (07-06-2023), tommymonza (08-01-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Keep chugging along, I just finished up a 26 month project of similar magnitude, sans repowering. Transom and stringers were replaced and turned into a mild restoration with 2 mechanics, 1 structural repair tech. and 2 interior techs. including small claims court. Due to being laid up so long, non-usage issues surfaced as well that had to be addressed but I wasn't going to be defeated. I was finishing final preps. yesterday for the first semi-pleasure outing today and the engine cover actuator crapped out and then it rained outside of the forecast so it's still in the driveway. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"

If at all interested, my official rant haha SOLVED: Why Owners Sell Mid Project
Old 07-25-2023, 08:26 AM
Registered

vroom - she is alive but LOUD! Added in-line mufflers but still obnoxious for a cruiser. Going to fab up some down tubes to try out.....then on to cosmetics and some some soft spots in the cockpit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Swamplizard:
hogie roll (04-09-2024), TomZ (07-25-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 12:53 PM
Registered

Found that some downturn PVC pipe cuts noise in half at idle and up to about 1200 rpm ... good for slow cruising down ICWW.
And ... we ran her up on plane last night for a few miles .... water temps never climbed above 175, held a good 30mph cruise at 3200 rpm ... not bad for a big Pig of a girl. Still need to do some retightening of everything in the engine room before we do an ocean rip. Need to pick up a second Vesselview Mobile dongle so I can all the stats on both motors in real time.
hogie roll (04-09-2024), tommymonza (08-01-2023), TomZ (07-31-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.