Notices

525EFI decal

Old 03-27-2024, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 525EFI decal

I had the top end rebuilt on my 525EFI 2 winters ago and they put my intake manifold into a parts washer and some of the 525 decal came off. I have seen this on a lot of 525s and never knew why it happened, but it all makes sense now.

There is another thread where they posted the picture of the decal, do people just get these printed at a vinyl shop? or is there a place to buy replacements that are easy to put on? Anyone done this before that has any tips for me?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew Naab

Old 03-27-2024, 10:13 AM
Registered

well shoot. I might have just found one. https://www.outboarddecals.com/mercu...ine-decal.aspx

Will still take any advice on how to replace it if anyone has experience.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you found one, curious how many hours on your 525 and did they find any issues when opened up? I have 245hrs on mine and never opened, juts serviced by the book.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 504 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
well shoot. I might have just found one. https://www.outboarddecals.com/mercu...ine-decal.aspx

Will still take any advice on how to replace it if anyone has experience.
I have a friend who had his airbrushed on, then clear coated and it looked great. He removed the aluminum panel and reglued it once the airbrush job was done.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by imartin
Glad you found one, curious how many hours on your 525 and did they find any issues when opened up? I have 245hrs on mine and never opened, juts serviced by the book.
the engine had 400 hours on it, but it was never really road all that hard for the 400 of those hours. left stock and just basic maintenance every year. When we tore it down there were no issues with the valve spring pressure, but some of the rollers on the rocker arms were a little rough/sticky which is usually what blows up on these engines and sends needle bearings throughout the whole engine and then it more than just a top end. When talking with some other engine builders they mentioned the head gasket on these breaking apart and the metal ring of the gasket that seals off the piston bore will "walk" and rub into the block. If that happens you have to resurface the block and its more than just a top end at that point also. There was a small bit of oil consumption due to valve seats, but overall still a decently solid engine. Now she is running like a champ.